silly question about algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I was away for the weekend and came home to a lot of brownish green algae all over the glass. I scrubbed it all of the front 3 sides, but since I have a black background I can't really see it on the back. The snails seem to like it, they are all over it! Should I leave it on there for them? Does it have any negative affects? Thanks Guys!

It sounds like diatoms. How old is your tank? I would not worry about it on the back glass. Like you said your snails are enjoying it.
Give us some water test numbers and we should be able to help you out a little more.

I agree, sounds like diatoms, if they are powdery and your tank is new, perfectly natural. Water numbers would help as well.

Just got my liquid test kit today! ph 8.4, ammo and nitrite were both 0ppm and nitrate was between 0ppm and 5.0, hope that helps! It was kind of powdery, wiped right off and blew around. Tank is about 2 months old, 1 month with fish.

Those are definitely diatoms. Powdery in water? Yup. Diatoms for sure. Are you using RO/DI water? Diatoms feed off of silicates, which are most commonly found in tap water. They don't really have any negative affects(that i've heard of), they are just the ugly parts of a maturing salt water tank. If you are using RO/DI water, then they should disappear sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom