Skimmers and useful nutrients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colorblindpicas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know if there is any evidence that protein skimmers pull out useful nutrients for xoanthids and clove polyps? I SEEMS like mine have slowed down their growth since I added a skimmer, but this might be just my imagination. I’m adding supplements bi-weekly, but thinking about shutting down the skimmer on the nights that I dose. Any thoughts?

I do believe a tank can be "overskimmed", this theory is debated a lot. I run a skimmer 24/7 but its a prizm which is known to be ineffecient compared to other models. If you're concerned about over skimming, you don't have to run it all the time, just during the day or even every other day. I run mine 24/7 to help blow off the excess CO2 and keep my pH up over night.

I agree with brad in that overskimming is possible and again highly debated. But I also believe in dirty water corals. There are some corals that just do better in underskimmed, or non-skimmed water with a little higher nitrates such as flowerpots and a few other softies. I think this is from to need to feed constantly. You could run it on a timer I suppose. There is little hard evidence that skimmers can remove dosed supplemets, but this is a hobby of pleasure so do what you feel is right. What kind of skimmer is it? Are you removing a lot of "gunk"? Also something to ask is has there been anything added to the tank that is in competition for nutrients? Higher calcium demand? Time for a water change? All just out of curiosity, as I just kinda doubt it's a skimmer issue.

HTH,
R-

Back
Top Bottom