snails keep dying???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone
I have a 46gal tank
I follow steps from what I heard from people and reading forums.
Everything seem to be fine under the cycle done.
I added 10 tubo snails +15 hermit crabs as cleaning crews (I know I should add more, but no$$$ ^^", will add more later)
but recently my snails keep dying.
my have a little green spotted puffer (1.5inches), the snails are about the same size, so it can't be the puffer.

I did water test
everything is 0ppm, except nitrate is 15~20ppm.
is that the reason my snails died?

I bought some red mangrove today, trying to control my nitrate a little more, since I think I have some corals came with my live rocks.
I will add picture later when I have a chance to take some.

Thanks for the time!!!!

Just change some water to get the nitrates down. It was more than likely that hermits wanted some new shells, so they killed your turbos. DO NOT add any more hermits. Get some extra shells for the hermits so they don't kill the snails for bigger shells.

You sure the puffer isn't eating them?
How are you acclimating them?
Are you talking a mangrove tree in your tank? If so, I would do some research on them to find out how to grow them.

the hermits I got r less then an inch OoO so they won't need a shell that big I guess? and I already have some extra shell that probably better for theor size.

and yes my puffers won't able to eat them, since its mouth is not big enough.
not a mangrove tree, I bought the seed, and yes I will do research on how to grow them.

thanks for the advice, I will do water change right now XP

How are you acclimating them....?

the mangrove seed? I didn't acclimate it, I just follow this steps I found online
Insert the seeds in a piece of flat styrofoam
Float this on the water of your sump
Place a 40 watt light over them
Run the light for 12 hours a day
Add some iron supplement if you wish (it is a good idea to do so)
Let the roots grow and let leaves start to grow as well
When more than two leaves are present, pinch all of them off except one
Do not damage the green thin growth that will come out of the top of the seed as that is a new leaf (well the beginning of one)

ops I think u r talking about my snails? I add my tank water every 15mins for 1 n a half hour. before I put them in. they r doing very good during the cycle under this 2 weeks.

match55 said:
they r doing very good during the cycle under this 2 weeks.
Ok, are you saying they are alive for 2 weeks using this method? Sorry, I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding. The adding water works for some, the only issue I can see there (with that time length) is the temp change in the bag vs. your tank.
I like to drip acclimate my inverts.

Ok, are you saying they are alive for 2 weeks using this method? Sorry, I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding. The adding water works for some, the only issue I can see there (with that time length) is the temp change in the bag vs. your tank.
I like to drip acclimate my inverts.

sry for my bad english >o<
hmm they are fine for 6weeks, till now, I only have 5 left.
the temp shouldn't be a problem, cuz I add water while letting the bag(the one with snails) flowing in my tank.
I will try the drip method next time.

^^ thanks

Ohhhh, what kind of snails?

the aqua store dude told me they r turbo (don't know if I got the spelling right)

I also found out another possibility
--->>> DIGITATE HYDROIDS, is there anyway I can get rid of them since the link said its bad for thank, and I think they are part of the reason why my snails keep dying, cuz they sting anything around them, and they (digitate hydroids and the snails both active at night.)

Turbo snails, that's spelled right. Hrmmmm, maybe you got a bad batch. Have you tested your parameters lately?
I would keep the Hydroid question in the ID section and post a pic (otherwise it sometimes gets confusing), so we can see if that is really what they are.

Turbo snails, that's spelled right. Hrmmmm, maybe you got a bad batch. Have you tested your parameters lately?
I would keep the Hydroid question in the ID section and post a pic (otherwise it sometimes gets confusing), so we can see if that is really what they are.

actually I feel bad cuz a lot of turbo snails had died in my tanks.
I used to have another tank but since I moved I left it for my friend.
the turbo snails wouldn't make it neither....ToT
and Yes I did check my parameters, everything its good (only nitrate 15~20ppm)
I just bought a reef test kit earlier today, I will check the Ca, kH after dinner.

What is your salinity?
Temp?

Last edited:
here is the test result
pH: 8.2~8.4
nitrite: 0ppm
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrate:10~15ppm (wooo it dropped a little bit XD)
calcium:480mg/L(ppm)
phosphate: 0ppm
KH: 12dKH/214.8ppm

You might want to try a different type of snail. Turbo's get to big anyway. I like nirites they are small and can get into all the crannies without knocking corals over.

You might want to try a different type of snail. Turbo's get to big anyway. I like nirites they are small and can get into all the crannies without knocking corals over.

^^ thanks for the advice.
but I would love some turbo for cleaning those brown stuff on glass and pipes that I had in the tank. n cuz they can grow big, my puffer won't able to eat them.
I m thinking to add nitites later when I have $ OoO
any other great algea eater? (the brown one that get all over my pipes)
img_1015257_0_aef4288b1eb162576235d0aec5b9c268.jpg

Back
Top Bottom