Snowflake moray eel! Anyone have any advice on eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt bussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought a 12 inch snowflake eel. Anyone have any advice on eels, I don't know much so any info would help. Thanks.

Question, why would you buy a fish without researching it first? This is a mistake because this isnt just any old fish, its an eel which can be very high maintance and have special needs. What is your tank size? A 55 or higher is needed. They are NOT reef safe and will eat any fish that can fit in their mouth and will also eat inverts. They need alot of rock and a full lid becaus they will jump out.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Question, why would you buy a fish without researching it first? This is a mistake because this isnt just any old fish, its an eel which can be very high maintance and have special needs. What is your tank size? A 55 or higher is needed. They are NOT reef safe and will eat any fish that can fit in their mouth and will also eat inverts. They need alot of rock and a full lid becaus they will jump out.

Agreed.

I also agree. My local reef store owner keeps one at the shop and says it can be a harder fish to keep for beginners or if you do not know much about eels.

I found this book to be helpful when researching which eel to buy and how to keep them healthy when I got one. I love my snowflake eel. A snowflake eel usually doesn't eat your fish but might eat your snails and crabs. Mine never touched them. I feed mine prepped frozen food every 3 days. Clams, shrimp, prawns, octopus, mussels ect. They need the variety. Do keep in mind they are messy eaters and need very good filtration. That's why it's important to research your fish first. Are they compatible with my fish? Is my tank big enough? Reefsafe? Filtration? Feeding? Etc. good luck and inform yourself about your eel so you can provide him with a happy life ;)

Attachments

• image-3439702802.jpg
    image-3439702802.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 130
I have done some research on eels and found that the snowflake is the easiest one to take care of. I have it in a 125 gallon aquarium with around 150 pounds of Fiji live rock. I bought a dozen ghost shrimp and as soon as I acclimated him I he ate around five. I was just want some advice if anyone had any to offer. So don't think i didn't do my research.

Matt bussell said:
I have done some research on eels and found that the snowflake is the easiest one to take care of. I have it in a 125 gallon aquarium with around 150 pounds of Fiji live rock. I bought a dozen ghost shrimp and as soon as I acclimated him I he ate around five. I was just want some advice if anyone had any to offer. So don't think i didn't do my research.

Ok good to hear he is in a good home. It was very misleading when you said that you didnt know anything about snowflake eels. What are his tank mates? You have a lid right?

Ya I have a fully enclosed cover I built out of pine. I have three damsels, one clown l, a cleaner shrimp, and a couple oysters. He hasn't messed with any of my other fish, I was told the snowflake is the most dosile eel.

Doesnt matter. The shrimp WILL be eaten, no doubt about that. Then when your eel becomes more agressive the clowns and damsels are next to go. I would put those fish in a differant tank, and especially move the shrimp

Sorry if I misunderstood your initial post. Just sounded like you just bought and then looked into info about them. We react this way because we actually care about fish. And too many guys buy on impulse. and end up killing the poor fish.
I've have a friend with a 3 foot snowflake eel. During feeding them they do get wild. A fish came to close and got bitten by the eel. They are pretty much blind and did not realize it was a fish and not the food for him. Mine sometimes pokes his head out the water for food lol

I had one for a few years. They really need constant care because of them being sloppy eaters. You`ll need to do frequent PWC`s to keep the water quality from going bad. Here was mine when I had him.

100_1859.jpg

Just got my snowflake to eat frozen shrimp. Wasn't all that hard he took it right away.

Glad to hear that you are researching and asking questions. I can't offer advice here as my experience with eels is nonexistent. I believe that they hunt by smell? If so, getting them to eat thawed food should be easy. Might be cool to feed from a skewer.

I'm using a pair of tweezers and hold the cut up shrimp with them, he comes right up to my hand an stakes it no problem.

Back
Top Bottom