Snowing in my tank? 5g pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Did my weekly 5g pwc and the bucket is white so I didn't notice until I placed the water back in that it appears to be snowing... little dot size white particles.

Confused... what is it and what do I do?

You should let your make up water sit over night with a power head to mix it up real good. Also it should have good top water motion for aeration. Undissolved salt in the water can irritate a fish's gills and cause them to scratch on rocks.

Seems like undisolved salt to me. Just let it sit next time and if you can add the powerhead to it, that would help quite a bit.

You may be seeing some precipitation of ca due to out of range alk. Check your Alk and make sure its within a 8 - 10 dkh range (Assuming Ca is 400 ish) It may indeed be unmixed salt, but if it looks more like a 'snowstorm' its possible the mix may have introduced elevated alk and cause the ca to precipitate out. I am not sure what steps there are to recovering..Maybe someone else will post that..

Peace.

I agree with undissolved salt which is why you should wait 24-36 hours before putting in your tank.

Thanks everyone... it appears to have been a little salt... I was in a rush to get out the door, it all looked fine until it wasn't in the white bucket.... all is well now and levels are great! Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom