so my clownfish ate my shrimp..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
is that common? my two clarki clowns both under a inch killed and ate a peppermint shrimp. it freaked me out and raised my nitrates from under 5 to 20!!

Did you actually see this or are you guessing they did? That is not very common.

Well they are the only things in the tank. also they kept swimmin around the area it was dead at.. kinda freaks me out lol

My guess... Shrimp died. Clowns made a meal of the dead shrimp.

I thought nitrate levels were supposed to be at 20.

Oh. Anyway, on the main topic again...It could possibly be the clownfish (I am not sure. I don't know about them other than what they look like.) but if they don't have a history of being aggressive, the shrimp may have just died and the clownfish swam around it's body in cocern. But sometimes even if a species of fish is non-aggressive (Along with any other type of animal) doesn't mean that every single fish in that species aren't aggressive. It depends sometimes on how they were raised. Did you have them breeded yourself?

no i bought them from a lfs that breeds them. and since they was yound them had about tem per tank so they might be aggresive since they had to fight over food.

I dont know but with my farm and Ray`s farm in the balance here I`m pretty sure the clowns did not do it. There`s always a possibility but it`s pretty slim.

yeah i don't think that your clowns ate your shrimp. it prob just died and they were making a meal. i have a camel back in my tank with two clowns and he is fine

sorry, just had to ask, but are you sure its a dead shrimp and not a molt? I know they hide at times, especially after molts. and maybe something else is raising the nitrates? just thought i'd throw that out there

sorry, just had to ask, but are you sure its a dead shrimp and not a molt? I know they hide at times, especially after molts. and maybe something else is raising the nitrates? just thought i'd throw that out there
lol this made me laugh cause its usually the first question asked and it didnt get asked till page 2. im thinking this might be the answer

Ideally nitrates should be at zero, but if you just have fish and inverts, I believe up to 20 is fine. You may have algae problems with 20ppm of nitrates though.

I would also bet the shrimp just died. I have some demon clowns and they NEVER mess with the inverts EVEN when fighting over food. My clowns attack ME, but never the cleaner shrimp thats always trying to jump on them.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom