Sick Betta ... constipated or bloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces_Girl01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Betta George looks really bloated and has been lethargic for the last 2 days. I havent fed him in two days but he still comes up and seems to want to be fed.
I did a 20 minute epsom salt dip today. So hoping that will help him releave himself.
Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of thing?
Aquarium: I keep him in a 5 gallon planted tank with a filter, heater and air stone. Water parameters are good. Less than 10ppm of nitrates. Ph is 7.6. He's over a year old and has been in this tank for 4 months. He ate 2 frozen brine shrimp 2 days ago but his main diet is pellets.

Attachments

• 16702594834291866285408.jpg
    16702594834291866285408.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1670259511135948563113.jpg
    1670259511135948563113.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1670259534736203149308.jpg
    1670259534736203149308.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 21
What does his poop look like?
If it's white and stringy, he has an internal problem, most likely internal bacterial infection. There's no cure for this.

Are the scales around his belly sticking out to the side?
If yes, that is dropsy and is linked to the internal bacterial infection. Again no cure.

You can try a big daily water change and raise the temperature a couple of degrees. If it's not an internal infection, this can sometimes help.

What does his poop look like?
If it's white and stringy, he has an internal problem, most likely internal bacterial infection. There's no cure for this.

Are the scales around his belly sticking out to the side?
If yes, that is dropsy and is linked to the internal bacterial infection. Again no cure.

You can try a big daily water change and raise the temperature a couple of degrees. If it's not an internal infection, this can sometimes help.
I haven't seen him poop... but theres nothing stringy thats been hanging off him.
I did notice pineconing on one side so I guess its the dreadful dropsy disease.
Any idea how dropsy is contacted or any possible cures?
I'll try a water change tomorrow...after the epsom salt bath today I dont want to stress him out anymore today.
Should I feed him right now or let him fast for one or two more days?

Dropsy is normally caused by an internal bacterial infection and usually comes with the fish from the fish farms. The most common cause these days is fish tuberculosis (TB) and there is no cure. The bacteria is spread through the water from contaminated fish and grows slowly in the fish for a year or more before destroying the organs and killing the fish.

It might not be fish TB but that is becoming a lot more common due to crap quality fish farms in Asia that won't clean up their act.

-------------------

Don't lift fish with dropsy out of water because it puts more pressure on their internal organs. If you have to lift them out, scoop them up in container with some water.

-------------------

If the fish is eating, feed it. The food can help push bad bacteria out of their digestive tract if it's just an internal infection that isn't TB.

...and the old skinned pea trick used for constipation. Blanch (boil for one minute and let cool) then pop the pea out of its skin and give it as the only food. They can't be made to eat it, but if it's all he gets for a day he may do it. Pushes out stuck food, and as Colin says, also bacteria.

He stopped eating and the swelling has gotten worse. He can no longer control himself while swimming and keeps diving head first into objects in the tank. Ive made the decision to let him go today. I dont want him to suffer any longer.

My condolences. You did the right thing, not allowing him to suffer any more.

Back
Top Bottom