Some basic anemone research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i-see-you

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I am doing some general anemone research for my tank. I would like to add an anemone in a couple months when the tank is more established. I just had some general questions and concerns.

What do you guys do to prevent an anemone from going into your powerheads/wave maker? I am running two wave makers. One for recirculation and one for a wave effect.

I am currently running a hydro galaxy 165watt led fixture. It sits about 8 inches from the water surface. Would this lighting be enough for an anemone? Currently the lights are on from 7am-1am. Most intense lighting is during the afternoon for only a couple hours. The night time are the royal blue lights primarily to create a "moon like effect."

Are there any other concerns that I missed that I should be thinking of?

Thanks in advance!

Oh.. Tank specs,
It's a 29 gallon
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Currently fighting a little bit of red slime algae, need to feed less.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A tank with strong enough lighting to support it won't move much when first introduced to a tank. Flow also plays a part in this, but it can vary from anemone to anemone depending on what it is looking for. Under my radions, I've never had an anemone move from where it was originally placed when introduced into the tank. One of the keys is turning off the powerheads so it can plant its foot, takes at least an hour to be safe.

I do have two clowns as well. So i assume it'd be a good idea going with an anemone double their size so it's not stressed, if the clowns attempt to host it.

What could drive an anemone to move? Just whatever will make it happy? How long does it usually take for them to be "happy" in their new home?

Also, is there anything an anemone does that would concern me as a first time owner of one? I've seen they deflate for example when the go to the bathroom. Anything else?

The hardest part is getting them to attach once they do they'll basically stay but you can sometimes find the one that likes to roam ,

it's best to turn of power heads while introducing
putting lady's stockings over power heads till you know they are firmly secure
this will keep them from getting sucked into propeller

if you have clowns your going to have fun they won't give it a chance to settle
in this case use qt tank place rock than put nem on rock let sit a day or so than add to display

Last edited:
The hardest part is getting them to attach once they do they'll basically stay but you can sometimes find the one that likes to roam ,

it's best to turn of power heads while introducing
putting lady's stockings over power heads till you know they are firmly secure
this will keep them from getting sucked into propeller

if you have clowns your going to have fun they won't give it a chance to settle
in this case use qt tank place rock than put nem on rock let sit a day or so than add to display

As far as attaching I have a perfect foot hole for one to start out in. Low flow, great light.. Then it can move to where it seems fit. My concern still stand with the clowns potentially over stressing it, but again this would be why I get a larger anemone.

Will need to use the panyhoe over the power head idea.. One if my friends just lost an anemone due to it going into the power head >.<

I got a huge green long tentacle nem the clowns never left it alone now it's attached to the rocks but on the back side of the tank . size matters but not with nems lol

your photoperiod is waayyy too long, even under moonlights algea/red slime will still grow.
surprised you are not having more algae issues.
you have the same light I do, it is fine for growing any coral or nems, but at 8" above the water it may be too intense and do you get a lot of "spotlight" effect from the colored LED's?
curious what power % do you run the lights at? I keep mine about 60% white/100% blues.
How old is the tank? most folks don't recommend putting nems in a tank less than a year old and healthy.

I lost a long tentacle to a powerhead once, so yeah, cover those intakes.

I don't get much spotlight effect at all. Only with the royal blues for my moon light. I'd send my settings but I'm not home at the moment. My peak intensity is 100% white in mid afternoon about 12ish for about an hour. I have the light that can be programmed via a poorly designed application. Ha.. Tank is not old enough for an anemone yet... Needs more time. But im gathering info about them sooner rather than later. My tank is only a few months old at this point. But it's minting very well, fish and corals are doing great, refugium is maintaining great.

I ended up having the settings cached on my phone. Take a look at the attached pictures.

Attachments

• 1464012855016.jpg
    1464012855016.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1464012862225.jpg
    1464012862225.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 1464012868595.jpg
    1464012868595.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1464012874665.jpg