Something happenned today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so today my little cousin was over and looking at my little ten gallon about 4 hours ago he called me and told me to go to his house to look at something...well when i got their he said look now i have a saltwater tank too, apparently after he saw my tank he went out and bought a tank some rocks and salt then setup a tank and he bought a scopas tang. So i told him he cant just add fish he has to wait for the tank to cycled, so i explained to him and i took his scopas and put it in my ten until his tank is ready(i made him buy a 95gal since i knew someone was selling one for a cheap price and he did) so the scopas is stuck in my small tank for a while hopefully it stay healthy until his home is ready. The store wont take it back thats just how it is over here on saltwater fish.

i also picked up some corals in the past few days ill get update later(in my build thread).

Yikes. Unless that tang is about an inch long he is going to get very stressed in a 10 gallon tank. Are you part of a local reef club? I would suggest trying to see if anyone in the area would be willing to keep him for a while or maybe buy it off of you. It will take a few weeks for his tank to cycle and I don't think he will do well in a 10 for that long.

The tang is about two inches long i ask around but no one wanted to put it into their tanks because its gonna be a pain to get it out later. But at the moment it seems to be doing good its eating like a pig.

If you have no other options then just make sure you feed it plenty of seaweed. It helps to keep their immune system strong. May also want to try garlic/selcon on its food every now and again as well. Just do what ever you can to keep it as happy and healthy as possible.

The tang is about two inches long i ask around but no one wanted to put it into their tanks because its gonna be a pain to get it out later. But at the moment it seems to be doing good its eating like a pig.

10-gallon for a short time is better than an uncycled tank. At 2" I think he will be ok long enough for your cousins tank to cycle as long as you are diligent about taking care of him properly. How is your tanks bio-load now? Do you have a skimmer? Did your cousin buy Live Rock? That was nice of you to save the tang.

I suggest that you not over feed that tang. Bad enough that it's in a 10g. you don't want to over stress your systm's bioload. Tangs, because they eat lots of plant...algae etc and put out lots of waste. All you want to do is feed a good food high in veggies.

A few weeks in a 10 gallong tank wont hurt the fish while is is so small. I would have nori available to it most of the day to graze on and otherwise feed sparingly (once every 2 - 3 days). You should probably add some extra PWC's to your schedule (10%, twice a week) to help keep the water pristine.

I'm not sure why some sites state a 70 gallon tank for a fish that can grow to a foot.

Back
Top Bottom