Son of a scallop !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfiereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok i need some help here , it's been 5 days since I " bought " a flame scallop for my 55g reef , however the scallop in question decided to attach himself to a nice 8-12 lb piece of rock at my LFS and has settled in :-/. Anybody have any experience removing clam/scallops from a rock without damaging the foot or shell ? As I don't see paying a min $60 - max $96 for a rock just so I can get the $ 20 scallop. I have been given permission to try and remove it myself if I chose.

Well, with my flame scallop, ( I take it out once a month to feed on phytoplankton alone ) I just slowly and gradually pull him off the rock. It really shouldn't hurt him.

So a nice slow constant pull and he should eventually let go ? How exactly do you feed him this way ? I am interested as I wish all my live stock the best possible chance at life and happiness

Yes. My LFS, a very well known store in Nashville,TN, told me that a good slow pull will get him off. Just give him a nice tug! He won't stay there for long! As for the feeding, I target feed mine Phytoplex(Phytoplankton) about once a week. Also, during my water changes, I take him out, put him in a bucket on the side, and put several large squirts of Phytoplankton in there with him. Then, I let him sit there for a little while and just pig out!

Excellent , I've wanted one now for a while , an I have the phytoplankton already for my coca worm .....shibby !! Time to get me my scallop !

I love mine! Just be careful when you first introduce the scallop, mine went absolutely crazy and knocked over tons of rock work. Eventually, it will finally decide on a place to stay.

Well, on regular weekly feedings, I do like 5 or 6ml of the plankton, and mine seems to be doing great! They really are awesome creatures! Wait till you see them swimming!

Finally , I have my scallop home :) a week after purchase. I had to pull him out myself , lady at the LFS was afraid to kill him. I just got a hold and kept the pressure on , and I won. I think the turning point was when I told it I was more evolved than it and it has no chance of winning ^_^ .

Attachments

• image-932893268.jpg
    image-932893268.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 102
Finally , I have my scallop home :) a week after purchase. I had to pull him out myself , lady at the LFS was afraid to kill him. I just got a hold and kept the pressure on , and I won. I think the turning point was when I told it I was more evolved than it and it has no chance of winning ^_^ .

Of course she would be affraid to kill it. If it dies it would be on her, now it is on you. It looks great though. I saw one when I was in baltimore and thought about it. Was looking even more at a maxima clam...but was not throwing more than 200 at it lol.

Not sure what this clam is but I love mine .
20/35 respectively for the scallop / clam.
They could have easily gotten it out themselves, but it took me over 20 min , and they are pretty busy , so I understand not having the time.

Attachments

• image-776095366.jpg
    image-776095366.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom