Specific Gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK...>I got mine to about 1.022-1.023.
I have a Seatest SGM....Its seems pretty good.

Is this good?

What do most keep theres at?

thats not too high....Im mainly going for a FOWLR for now....Im goin to wait probably at least a month for getting the first fish even though I think my cycle will be quick due to the live sand I have

If you ever have problems with parisites or disease, you might want to drop it down to 1.018 to 1.020. most parisites can't handle the low salanity, but your rock and fish can.

but 1.023 is good and very normal

morphviper said:
If you ever have problems with parisites or disease, you might want to drop it down to 1.018 to 1.020. most parisites can't handle the low salanity
No parasite would be affected by that specific gravity.

Cheers
Steve

The salinity needed to affect the parasite to any great degree would also have the same affect on the fish being treated. Hypersalinities are not an affective treatment. Raising the temp is also not recommended. It has absolutely no affect on breaking the life cycle of any parasites. Most optimally reproduce at or near regular reef temperatures. Some like Cryptocaryon irritans, optimal reproductive temp is 86°. While you might think "great, I'll get rid of it faster", it actually has quite a negative effect on fish. Higher temps also affect the pH of the fish's blood making their immune response much slower and ineffectual.

Cheers
Steve

not to argue but I have had great luck ridding my fish of parasites by lowering my levels. You might be right, but it works for me.?

I haven't had a parasite or ick anything like that in a couple of years? maybe lucky on my part.

But I contribute it to low salt levels.

morphviper said:
not to argue but I have had great luck ridding my fish of parasites by lowering my levels. You might be right, but it works for me.?

I haven't had a parasite or ick anything like that in a couple of years? maybe lucky on my part.

But I contribute it to low salt levels.
Not to belabor the point nor to fight about it either but I can assure you the slightly lowered salinity would have nothing to do with it. Anything higher than 16 ppt would be ineffective for most protozoans. I would go so far to say that either the fish did not have a parasite issue to begin with or the possible affliction was not properly diagnosed. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Personally I don't think keeping lower than NSW values serves much purpose, at least not for the animals you'll be keeping. Your best area is 1.023-1.025 SG but if you have a refractometer, target 35 ppt. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom