Split lighting cycle - stupid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals. Just wondering if anyone has tried using a split lighting cycle? My wife and I are regular working stiffs and the kids get up early for school. I was wondering if I could set the timers to come on early, say 6:30 AM, while were up in the morning and then cycle off at maybe 10 AM and then cycle back on around 5:30 PM until 11:30 or so? I fully understand the 12 hour max natural light cycle but since I'm paying for all this fun I want to maximize my viewing time. Kinda sucks when the timers go off at 10 PM and you still want to look at your tank.

Thoughts/comments/questions appreciated!

I would just set your timers to come on later in the day maybe around 1pm or so and then you can have the lights go off later in the evening while you sip on a drink or small talk with your loved one.

I do something like that also because I work until 7:30 every night. My lights come on in the afternoon and click off around midnight.

Mine too, I have mine set to come on at noon and off at 10.....

Okay, thanks for the replies. Just set them later, say, noon or 1 pm and let them run until about midnight. Actually the room gets a fair amount of natural sunlight through the windows. Probably not a bad idea to just cycle them on much later in the day!

Thanks again. :D

The only thing that I think we should be aware of is that the fish do need their rest also. They are up and swimming when it`s daylight and up till the lights go off. It`s usually light at 6 am here and if the lights go off at midnight then that`s not enough downtime for the fish and corals. Just something to think about and of course that`s in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom