spotted sweetlips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, what are your thoughts , I have a 65 gallon fish only tank with 3 blue chromis 1 blenny, one dottyback , 1 goby, I was thinking about a spotted sweetlips , I have had them before and really like this fish,I know he will eat the other fish at some point, but the sweetlips I was looking at is only 1 1/2 inches long it think he will be fine for now , but how long will it be before he is big enough to eat the other fish, my local fish store has one only 24.95 it might be worth it for 6 months or 1 year? or am i wasting time and money, any ideas
Thanks

Pass on it. I really don't understand the reasoning behind getting a fish that will obviously outgrow your tank. You said you had them before. What happened to them?

I had them a 150 gallon years ago and at that point I decided to get out of the hobby for a while, but they did well never got big enough to take out, I guess i just really like the looks of that fish?

They're gorgeous, I agree.
However, buying, dealing with a potentially stressful fish, catching it, and relocating it all sound troublesome.
IMO bigger fish in smaller tanks looks awful. The fish looks uncomfortable, it makes your tank look smaller in general, and it looks unnatural.
Additionally, as you mentioned, it can destroy the rest of your stock.

sweetlips

your right, I guess i have to turn my back in these fish, too bad they are beautiful
Thanks

trust me, i've considered it so many times with a trigger, but in a 75 I decided against it. Just not worth it, especially if I care about the fish.

sweetlips

your right , I just cant get what I had before, I had a 150 tank 10 years ago with a 6 inch clown trigger, a large lion, sweetlips, and a Harlequin tusk, i do not have the room for that tank anymore, so settled for the 65 gallon, and having trouble changing fish type, but I know I will get it
Thanks

Just curious, how long did you have that tank running and what was the end result? I hear clown triggers usually turn into terrors, and most triggers will kill lionfish in general.

sweetlips

I had the tank set up for 4 years, it was my first saltwater set up, I had fresh water for 30 years,first fish was domino's dam's then I went right to the clown trigger, i could not help my self ( most beautiful fish in the world) he ended up being the best fish ever, I would feed him a cracked live clam in the shell drop it in and watch him go to town, he never bothered the lion , or the other fish, the only thing was when I cleaned the tank I had my wife put a net in there to keep the trigger and the lion away from me , he was super fast but what a personality, that's what I really wanted this time ( but no) they need to swim, he died ( unknown ) just before I decided to take the tank down, and sold the other fish, I actually wanted to take him to a taxidermist and I had him in the freezer for a few weeks but found out it was too much ( a very true story) i hope this helps
Thanks
Frank

sweetlips

thank you, i think I will some day, good luck
thanks

Back
Top Bottom