spray bar placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to deciide where to put spray bars so that I get a good amount of water moving in several directions, but have the least visible amount of pipe.

so, looking at my tank, I've got room for 1/2" sch 40 to fit under the plastic band and not be easily visible from the outside (hidden by the band) ... so I'm thinking I can run a pipe down the center brace to a Tee and then along the front of the tank behind the plastic band, with holes drilled in the 4ft front segment every 4-6" aiming in various directions.

then I was also planning on running a spray bar along the back, behind the rocks, about 8" from the bottom... again drilled every 4-6"

so these two bars will run off 1 return pump from the sump, probably ~900 gph

and then I plan on hooking up a scwd to two large diameter outlets, and have each in the back corner... run off another 900 gph pump

now you might be saying, 1800 gph is high for a 90 gallon tank - but I plan on using power-head style pumps due to budget reasons, and they don't take head pressure (spray bars, etc) too well, so I figure on getting about 600 gph out of each, which should be a good turnover

sound logical?

thanks in advance.

I think that sounds like a good idea! I was considerint something like this because I don't want a bunch of visable ph's everywhere in my tank. I currently have just one spray bar now for my sump return. I'd be very interested to know how yours turns out :D

I really llike the idea of hiding the spraybar up high behind the trim. It never occured to that this could be done all the way around the tank, especially the front. 1/2" would be s perfect fit, at least on mine. The only propblem I forsee is being able to adjust your overflow bow (or in my case drilled outlets) high enough to cover the bar. My current setup with drain locations keeps the water level right at the bottom of the trim.

hmm

my overflow has some screws that go through the bend, so you can raise it up or down to set the water level

I don't use the screws right now, since the water level is already a tad high for the old junk tank it's on (getting a tiny drip from the top band seal leaking)... but that 30 gallon has a very small band compared to the 90 gallon's

The part I'm trying to figure out now, is how to attach the pipe to the tank. I have some epoxy that will work, but it's a rather permanant solution for an experimental setup ... I'm going to experiment with hot glue next ... silicone caulk sticks fine to the glass but won't stick at all to the pvc

I used zip strips and drilled small holes around the lip to attach mine... I used 3/4 inch pipe for my spray bar.....

How big of holes are you using for your spray bar. Im using the sch 40 1" for my mag 24. it is going to be almost 6 feet long so it will span the length of the tank.
i would like for this to be enough movement for the tank by itself. any opinons on that?
i am either goingto use a suction cup and zip tie on one end or just zip tie to the lip some how.

I made them with a 1/8" drill bit and rounded it out a bit..kind of like a crater..I believe this widens the stream a bit and causes more of a current than a steady beating stream...I did the zip strips and let the bar hang to just below the water surface so that it wouldn't suck air and cause a really large protien skimmer..LOL

dusty,

I am thinking of doing the same thing w/ my Mag 24. Right now my Mag 24 is half way shut off by a ball valve because its to powerful for my setup. right now I have a one inch line off the pump and Y'ed into 2, 1/2 inch return pipes. The head height is at least 6 feet and still half to throttle it down.

Do you think 2 spraybars running along the front and back side of the tank would let me open up the MAG so I can utilize the power?

The two returns are on one end of the tank.

Ya a spraybar will definitly slow that Mag drive down, maybe not to full throttle but you will be pushing the pump more with it. As for DIY you will have to make sure the spray bar is below the water line otherwise you will get lost of bubbles and possibly splashing from the spraybar blowing the water on the surface of the display tank. HTH

do you have it turned down because of your over flow limits?
or just cause the jets are too powerful?
to ease the streams you can make larger holes in the initial pipe.
or more of them. doyou get a good current all over the tank? i have 180 gallon. mine is not hooked up yet, i pick up my pipe and acrylic for my fuge tomorrow.
have any pics of your setups?

justdiy The part I'm trying to figure out now, is how to attach the pipe to the tank

for attaching the spray bar you might consider glueing some plastic clips like the ones that hold brooms to the wall to your tank. that might hold the pipe, if you use enough of them.

Back
Top Bottom