Spraybar or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a spraybar connected to the return of my canister filter. The use of a spraybar is carried over from the fresh water tank days. Does anyone uses a spraybar for their return?

The flow coming out of the spraybar is weak, so I was just wondering whether I should just remove it and give it more blow.

The spraybar adds alot of head pressure to the return. You could drill out the spray holes and make them larger thus reducing the head pressure or you could just ditch the spray bar and split the return into two returns.

Those that I know who use a spraybar on SW tank size the pump with the understaning that alot of head is created due to the spraybar.

I think that is good enough a reason to remove the spraybar, especially when I really want to increase the flow.

If I were to have just a single return, where is it best to have it pointing to? Currently I have 2 PH on each back corners pointing towards the middle and 1 PH at center back pointing towards the front center. They are connected to a natural wavemaker.

Spray bars are fine but you really need to boost the pump running them in compairson to if you did not use the spray bar. What you could do is incorporate a SCWD device and have the return alternate between two sides. The canister filter might not have the GPH output that is needed by the SCWD so thats why I didnt suggest it earlier.

Back
Top Bottom