SPS corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
We just got an SPS coral think it is a velvet branch but not sure,, I have attached a pic. I am wondering what the light requirements are. We have 192 watt PC's and the tank is 19" deep. Will coral be ok at the bottom? That is were my girlfriend likes it.

thanks
Jeff

Looks like a montipora digitata. These require a bit stronger light then what you have. I would put it as close to the light as possible and keep it off of the substrate. I am not opptimistic about it's long-term survival. It looks as though it is already begaun tissue necrosis from the bottom up.

Jeff,

Most SPS corals are known to be more difficult to keep than other corals, and have high light requirments. What is the exact gallon measurement of your tank? Most SPS corals need between 5-10 watts of lighting per gallon, and at least 10,000k of white light and 7500k of actinic on a 12 hour per day schedule. I would make a small ledge with rock and make sure the SPS coral is as close to the light as possible without cooking it.

I would consider getting an Aqua Light with a built in Metal Halide, although if you have heat concerns with Halide lighting - Current makes a Power Compact in thier Orbit line that pushes a wooping 384 watts through 4 96 watt bulbs.

lando said:
It looks as though it is already begaun tissue necrosis from the bottom up.

It doesn't look good for your coral. But it still can be saved by providing the right enviroment. You can also frag off some of healthy parts to seperate it from the mother colony if it has some kind of sickness.

:( damn we just got it,, it was only $14.50 so not too much. I don't really have the money for better lights. I guess I will have to pay more attention to lower light corals. Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff

Macman the tank is a 38 gallon. We almost went with a 30 long and I think that would have been due to the depth of it. anyway we hav the 38 and we like it. Maybe in the future I can get a better light set. For now I guess just stay away from SPS's LOL.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom