Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
SPS craze

This is probably gonna start a forum war, but what is the big thing with SPS corals lately. Alot I have talked too at some coral shows laughs at me for liking shrooms and zoa's more than acro's and montis. I think they look like colored sticks. Is the coolness associated with just keeping them alive or is there some other element I am missing? I hear people brag on the sps's and then mention as an afterthought about some of the ther corals in their tanks. I am not knocking them in any way, but it seems for some reason that they are the frontrunner in popularity. I just wonder why.

kdogg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Probably a lot of things going on depending on the person. But I think what draws people to them is that they're more demanding than LPS or softies. Some folks like the extra challenge.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
idk, there are very few sps corals i like myself..

i do hope i dont catch that craze though because sps corals are priceyyyy, and harder to keep
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
It may have to do with the relative recency of successful keeping. I thought it was the zoas with the crazy names that brought the big bucks. We have a local that is selling space man palys for $75 a polyp.
Fishless cycling
cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yeah..it all depends who you talk to. acans are always popular. chalices were the craze not too long ago, and then "designer" zoas, then mini maxi nems were up there in price for a while. aussie corals in general are hot. i don't go for the name game...i just like pretty corals.
about the sps, i do like a healthy piece of sps, with polyps extended. a nice tabling millepora with polyps waving back and forth is a very nice addition to the reef. they come in many beautiful colors and don't grow as fast as softies (which you'll find is actually a good thing).
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know all too well about zoa prices lately. I just don't see what the big to do is. There are a few sps that look neat, but not as attractive to me as a full colony of drgoneye zoa's or blue and green ricordeas. Quick growth isn't a concern to me, I want a cool tank that is nice to look at and not too hard to look after.
kdogg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
In this hobby, havin a beautiful tank means you have to be successful. Perfect water levels, healthy fish and coral become an obsession. Since sps are harder to keep, it becomes more of a fun challenge.

I think that when you really get into acros, you lean about all the different kinds and colors, they really pop like zoas, millies are so beautiful.

I was never interested in montis until i saw one that was shaped like a rose. It was purple and the ends were a lighter purple that make the whole thing look so great.

-----SCRK member-----
Follow me on twitter: Reefer_Addict
six2sevenproductions is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com