stainless steel in marine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
My husband is making a sump for our tank and cant find a plastic hose clamp, so he got a stainless steel one. He said this is ok, and i really don't know one way or another. I know that many metals are a no no, and i'd really like some advice on this before it is intergrated to our tank. Is stainless steel ok in a marine tank? thanks a bunch

Not in the water, the grade of stainless used to make a clamp is not good enough to stand up to the corrosive power of saltwater. Stainless made to a high enough quality to be used in saltwater would be cost prohibitive and even the best grade would eventually corrode. If it's for use outside (ie; not in the water) it should be OK, I have used stainless steel hose clamps around my tank for years...they rust, but since they are not in the water it's not a big deal.

Yes they are safe....in most cases the stainless is treated and or enclosed and have dry run resitant seals..... These pumps are fine to use.

Are pond pumps made with stainless steel propeller and parts? Are pond pumps able to be used in the aquarium?

The most common Pond pump used in Aquarium Application is the Sequence pump, These pump are durable and dependable for both types of applications.

Sequence pump? thats the brand name i take it your refering to? Hmm never heard of it. I will have to check that out. Menards here in MN has pond pumps and i thought about using one but i noticed that it had metal parts inside the propeller area, not sure if that would make a difference.

Usually the Sequence pump is know for having there inner stainless parts enclosed for dry run. But these pumps i know of being the most common cross exchanged pumps from pond to salt.

There are grades of stainless steel, and for aquariums you would need MARINE GRADE stainless steel. Prepare to mortgage your house.

Back
Top Bottom