Starfish and Gobies and Crabs... Oh My!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey All

I added some yellow polyps to my 50 gallon earlier today mainly as an experiment. I want to find out if my Flame Angel is a coral muncher or not. So far the polyps have been completely ignored by the angelfish. Everything else in my tank had to pay a trip to check out the new guys hehe. You can see in the pics one of my hermits and my sally lightfoot creeping up on it, then they climb on board looking for treats between the polyps. Even my sandsifter star made a trip. Wierd for something with no brain huh?

Attachments

• cotng2_250.jpg
    cotng2_250.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 31
  • lunchdate2_690.jpg
    lunchdate2_690.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 35
  • polyps_116.jpg
    polyps_116.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 30
Nice little assortment. But keep in mine that my flame was good to go for a couple years before he became a muncher

My sand sifter always stays hid in the sand. Weird to see one on the rocks like that. I also have a flame and coral beauty in my tank. I have every kind of coral you could imagine (see profile) and have yet to have a problem. Melosu's comments always keeps me looking though.

Yeah, that star has always been strange. Really active. I thought maybe he was not getting enough to eat but he never excepts target feeds. Has been doing well for a few months now.

I did have a question about feeding those polyps. The guy at the LFS said basically to treat them like my mushrooms, which to me means that I don't have to do anything special for them. Liveaquaria says that they need supplemental feedings. Which is correct?

ColdFish said:
Yeah, that star has always been strange. Really active. I thought maybe he was not getting enough to eat but he never excepts target feeds. Has been doing well for a few months now.

I did have a question about feeding those polyps. The guy at the LFS said basically to treat them like my mushrooms, which to me means that I don't have to do anything special for them. Liveaquaria says that they need supplemental feedings. Which is correct?

I don't do anything for mine. I treat them like shrooms. They will get all they need from light IMO.

Thanks zenn. I was hoping that was the case. When I looked them up on marine depot it said that they got the majority of their needs met by photosynthesis, but for some reason liveaquaria says you have to supplement with phytoplankton or brine shrimp. I guess they want to sell the phytoplankton :)

Back
Top Bottom