Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Diatoms need silica to form. Purigen removes silicates. That might help. IMO the uv won't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
if in response to me, I've been using 250ml of Purigen, 1 unit of chemi-pure elite, 4 ozs of carbon, phosban, bio-pellets, and still had the diatom bloom, the only thing that changed prior to it's stopping was utilizing the UV.

using a UV isn't going to completely solve the OP's or any issue other than maybe a bacterial bloom, but it certainly doesn't hurt and it does kill any free floating forms of anything that is exposed to it, so it is very possible that UV used properly can help contain certain issues and is a good adjunct to filtration in general.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

started a saltwater talk back in July (I believe) and has since been battling...

I've just never seen an algae problem cured by uv. Gave up on uv many years ago. JMO

Using sand that's silica based can also cause this problem.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
green water can be wiped out with a sterilizer, but I can't speak for anything else.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Neither of us want to dump any more money into this tank. We already have reactors running phosphate and carbon. We have spent a lot of money on this tank and we cant seem to get this stuff to go away. We are going to try to raise the Ph to 8.5 and see if that helps. If not, probably going to take it down. 4 of our fish have died, a huge portion of our snails and now our corals are starting to die, the few corals that we did have.

Just kind of over it at this point.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you just give it time it will go away. Just keep your water pristine. If you decide to take the tank down I just put a 300 in the wall and could use a few fish.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is an understandable reaction but would also be a shame. You've obviously put a lot of time effort and agony in this and most like you are eventually rewarded with a stunning tank that all of your friends admire. I've not read the entirety of the the thread but can see you got a lot of good technical replies. Since you are new to the hobby and in the likely event you haven't considered it let me ask a more basic question. Where is the tank located in the house and does sunlight shine on it at anytime of the day? Afternoon sun is particularly bad for causing all types of algae problems. In any event, good luck.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster2 View Post
That is an understandable reaction but would also be a shame. You've obviously put a lot of time effort and agony in this and most like you are eventually rewarded with a stunning tank that all of your friends admire. I've not read the entirety of the the thread but can see you got a lot of good technical replies. Since you are new to the hobby and in the likely event you haven't considered it let me ask a more basic question. Where is the tank located in the house and does sunlight shine on it at anytime of the day? Afternoon sun is particularly bad for causing all types of algae problems. In any event, good luck.

Nah, no sunlight. It is in front of a window but there are blackout blinds on the window and we never open them except during water changes.
We just started to see some coralline algae start growing like 2 weeks ago which I know is a good thing, so something must be going right in there, haha. about 90% of it is on the glass at the moment though. I just did a good cleaning of the rocks and I'm going to scrape it off and hopefully it starts to grow on the rocks more.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

When the lights flip on, I will take an updated picture. It does look a lot better than it did during the initial post.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I disagree that sunlight is a problem. I have seen many tanks that use sunlight as a supplement and have no algae issues. Here's a prime example-

Taken from here-
Tank of the Month - February 2006 - Reefkeeping.com
Old 03-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

We know that if salt water tank has a prolonged lighting you will expect more algae than normal unless the tank has adequate filtering system. Generally speaking natural lighting is not recommended since it can not be controlled. I don't think tank in the shade will affect the growth of algae either. It's the direct sunlight that is being concerned about when it hits your tank early morning and it ads up to your lighting duration and the natural sunlight wavelength in the afternoon favors some algae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
started, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com