Starter coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serafin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I've had my tank 2 years now and all is great. Now I feel confident enough to start with corals. What are good starter corals to look into to get me started.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What lighting are you using? In general I'd say start with soft corals and work your way up.

Good starter corals would be: bubble coral,polyps,anthelia and sea grass. All species have separate needs. For example the sea grass needs a strong flow and medium lighting and maybe some liquid food once a week. I have only just got a marine tank 9 months ago and I got these corals over that time and they have thrived. New to marine fish keeping and coral keeping I was a newbie but I followed their needs and it worked. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Zoas, palys, pulsing Xenia (but watch it doesn't take over) these are a few I can think of. Only thing to keep in mind is that each "category" of corals have their own demands, and some have opposing demands. LPS need mid-heavy lighting, good flow, and slightly nutrient rich water, where as SPS require high flow, high light, and pristine water. I'd recommend just starting out with some cheapie common corals and go from there. Oh and don't buy entire colonies... That's just more money wasted if they die during "training"

Back
Top Bottom