Starting a 20 gal nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Alex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
This is my first time setting up a Sw tank. Right now I have about 2 " of live sand and some crushed coral. I also have about 5 lb of live rocks (Getting more soon) with 4 mangrove plants growing off the rock. I had a penguin 330 filter on it at first but just got a aquatop cf400 uv canister filter. I was going to put two clown fish ad some striped cleaner shrim in it along with some coral and anemone eventually. Any thought or advice ?

Cool, is your tank cycled? Tell us more about your set up. Tank size, lighting? You got any power heads for water movement? Post some pics! And welcome to aa...

This is what the setup looks like. I'm still cycling it and I'm adding some fish and more live rock today. I don't have any power heads right now because the filter is really strong (370gph). The lights are T5 HO with two bulbs

Attachments

• image-2537278719.jpg
    image-2537278719.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 110
And the tank is only 20 gal so the filter filters the entire tank 18.5 times and hr is this to much?

If you are still cycling I would not add any fish, it is not fair on the little guys! Add all the rock you are planning on now though while you are still cycling. Do you have a test kit? Make sure you have 0 ammonia and nitrites before adding any fish. You are right to wait on the nem too, they require a established tank so def hold off on that. In time you may want to upgrade the lighting and add a bit more flow when the time comes for an anemone :)

Thank you for all the advise. What type of lights would you recommend? I was planing on adding another 10 lb of live rock do you think that will be sufficient enough?

Yeah the more the merrier especially if you are planning a reef down the road. Some people have as much as 1-2 pounds per gallon...

I was at about 15 pounds of rock as of this morning, I was looking at my tank and thinking it needs just a little more. So I headed down to the lfs and picked up another 3.7 lbs. I'm closer to 2 lbs per gallon and I now know the tank has enough rock. It's all how you see it and want it. I'm doing a reef and love how my tank looks now.

2 questions you asked.
First was turnover. 18.5 is not too high. Actually 30-50 is recommended for reef tanks. A circ pump to blow water around will be beneficial.
Second was lights. Anemones need high lighting. You have a few options. A fixture with a MH (metal halide) bulb and 4 T5HO actinic bulbs is an option but it can heat up your tank. Or a 6 or 8 bulb T5HO with a combo of actinic and Cool K rated bulbs will work but the bulbs will need to be replaced annually at a significant cost. The latest is led lights that give what you need for light and don't need to be replaced annually but might cost a bit more upfront.
Taotronics seem to be very popular for many members and perhaps someone will pipe in with a specific fixture recommendation.

2 questions you asked.
First was turnover. 18.5 is not too high. Actually 30-50 is recommended for reef tanks. A circ pump to blow water around will be beneficial.
Second was lights. Anemones need high lighting. You have a few options. A fixture with a MH (metal halide) bulb and 4 T5HO actinic bulbs is an option but it can heat up your tank. Or a 6 or 8 bulb T5HO with a combo of actinic and Cool K rated bulbs will work but the bulbs will need to be replaced annually at a significant cost. The latest is led lights that give what you need for light and don't need to be replaced annually but might cost a bit more upfront.
Taotronics seem to be very popular for many members and perhaps someone will pipe in with a specific fixture recommendation.

Here's a link to the light I was recommended to get. Mr.x has 6 of these and just so we're understanding each other... I've got a 10 gallon and Mr.x, well, he's using 6 of em, so I'm guessing it was a good recommendation.

All sarcasm aside, I love this light, it's dimmable and bright as a M**** F****. I cranked it up half way and looked at the tank, then walked out into the hallway at work... WHOA....! I will eventually be using it on my 40 gallon when my reef grows up. In my opinion the light was a great deal. Here's the link :dance:

Thank you so much for all the great information. I was also wondering about the need for an air stone or some type of air supply. The top is open so there is good air exchange on the surface but do I need more?

Dont use an air stone the bubbles will cause salt creep better to aim your power head at the surface the idea is to cause ripples on the water this will aid in gas exchange

I was wondering if I need to use a protein skimmer when I start adding anemones and some coral or will the filter be enough. I have a Sea Clone 100 but it looks bad when it's on the tank so I want to see if I could get away with out using it

Attachments

• image-1611468180.jpg
    image-1611468180.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 89
On a tank that small you dont need a skimmer, as long as you are doing your weekly water changes.

And i noticed you were using a canister filter, be careful with that as they are known as nitrate factories in saltwater, try to clean it every couple of weeks.

How long has your tank been running? How big is it? Anemones need intense lighting and a mature tank. As for the skimmer, it's always a good idea to use one but its not necessary. Depending on the size of your tank a filter might not be needed either. Tell us a bit more about your set up and we can advise. You running power heads too?

Good to know about the canister filter. I don't have a power head just the canister filter. The tank has been set up for a little more then a week. I just added two chromies today. I'm planing on leaving this set up for a month or more and then add a anemone,clown fish and cleaner shrimp

Back
Top Bottom