stocking options......fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
i will be getting a 50, 55 or 65 gallon sw tank with live rock and a few mushroom coral.
now to the fun part
i will be getting a starfish
royal dottyback
pair of oscellaris clowns (1 b&w 1 orange)
kole tang
one of the followng puffers...saddle puffer, sadle valentini puffer, spotted puffer, bennett's sharpnose puffer, leapord puffer,
a few snails crabs and shrimp
what else can i get
thanks

live aqueria says the ones i chose can be put in reefs "with caution"

yeah the tang wouldn't be happy in a 55g, I think a 75 is minimum. It needs that extra swim space to turn around. :)

keep in mind that the kole tang is the smallest of all tangs, the largest ever was 5.7 inches

zacheyp said:
how many fish can i put in a tank that size

I always go by 1 fish per 10 gallons

Of course you have to pay attention to their size and need but ROUGHLY that's what I go by so with 55g I would say 5 fish and with 65g 6 fish

Its a rough estimate though

i will be getting a 50, 55 or 65 gallon sw tank with live rock and a few mushroom coral.
now to the fun part
i will be getting a starfish
royal dottyback
pair of oscellaris clowns (1 b&w 1 orange)
kole tang
one of the followng puffers...saddle puffer, sadle valentini puffer, spotted puffer, bennett's sharpnose puffer, leapord puffer,
a few snails crabs and shrimp
what else can i get
thanks

No saddle puffer because they need lower temp and you will probably have to buy a chiller to keep one alive.

I'm not sure what kind of puffers are called "leapord puffer" or "spotted puffer". One of them must be a green spotted puffer (Segrest Farms fish suppliers call GSP a Leopord puffer). I feel like these guys are too aggressive.

Go with a Valentini or Sharpnose because they will be the smallest. Live rocks is as far as I would go with puffers. Not reef safe and will eat your crustaceans.

my stock looks like this now
clown pair
dotty back
kole tang
puffer
bicolor angel

Oh you meant the spotted sharpnose. Gotcha. I enjoy watching them swim around at my LFS.

Yes the kole tang is small but it needs the swim room of a 75 gal or up. Tangs get stressed ridiculously easily and are ich prone. It's not just the size - it's the activity level.

Back
Top Bottom