Stocking Plan Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrongBad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had the tank up for 2 months now. I want to make it a Reef Tank with a few fish. I would like to have all kinds of corals and several anemones. Do any of the following fish not fit with this plan. I have read differing profiles on different websites.
-1 yellow tang
-1 copper banded butterfly
-1 Blue Tang
-2 orange skunk clowns
-2 false perculas
-3 Javanese Damsels
-3 Jewel Damsels
-1 Lawnmower Blenny
-1 Twin Spot Goby

I think the tangs and butterfly will get too big for a 30G. I believe the butterfly might nip corals. Damsels tend to be aggressive, once they get bigger. I think you might be good with 2 clowns (mated pair, probably the percs might be the better choice). The blenny and goby also. I'll let the "reefers" help you out, since I don't know too much about corals....

Yes I agree with ROKA64 about the tangs. One tang wont make it let alone two. The butterfly is at risk for your corals and you`ll have to shave off half the no. of fish to go in your 30 gallon. Too big a bioload.

i'm really hoping thats for your 135g tank...because no tang will fit in the 39, let alone 2 of them. But if this is for the 135g tank, then yes, it should be fine. Just dont add them all at once...add maybe 2 tops every 3-4 weeks, and you want to start with the smallest/least aggressive first, and then work your way up to the bigger tangs.

ACK! I looked at the sig file and not the "my info". Sorry about that. How about replacing the damsels with some sort of schooling fish, if that is for your 135G?

Ok I did not see the 135. Those will be OK in it . I thought it was for the 30 gallon. The butterfly is still a threat to corals

ya and i personally hate damnsels (and yes, i know how i spelled that..for a reason tho). Once they get big, tyhey'll more than likely pick on any fish, no matter the size. They did for me anyways. And for me to catch them in my 55...it was a freakin pain...had to take everything out..traps didnt work whatsoever. But in a 135...i'd hate to have to take all the rock out of that.

Also, many people seem to like chromis as a schooling fish...i dont, because they always establish a pecking order, in which the weaker ones generally die. I've heard of some schooling anthias fish tho, but idk what kinds they are.

Sorry about the confusion i forgot to update both the info files. THe fish are a planned addition to my 135 gallon. Thanks for the input so far. I too was a little worried about the copper band with corals but a friend of mine keeps a copper band with all kinds of corals and he says he hasnt had a problem. He feels it is the only reef safe butterfly. Of course he may have gotten lucky with a well behaved copper band. As for the damsels, i dont really like them either but i wanted something that would school and stay kind of small (compared to the tangs) while still having interesting color which is why i chose the Javanese and the Jewel. Of course i am completely open to other schooling fish suggestions. I was a little concerned about anthias since some of the fish store sites say "monitor with shrimp".
As an aside, how many tangs could i keep in a 135 gallon reef tank?

Edit - The info problem is now fixed:)

oh, so you've already got 2 clowns in there? Adding 2 more would not be a good idea imo. In each pair, one will turn to female, and females fight, so you're gonna have problems with that probably. Oh, and now that i read your wish-list again, i see that you've also got 2 false percs...so that would make a total of 6 clowns? 6 would be even worse imo...i'd say stick to 1 pair. sometimes people can get away with it in larger tanks for a while, but eventually the fish are gonna run into each other...not good.

Back
Top Bottom