Substrate experimentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any experience using regular acquarium gravel in a FO tank? Filtration will be cannister. I have sand in two tanks, sand and CC in one tank and just CC in another.....was thinking about doing a tank with just gravel and some few decorative pieces of rock.

What problems would I be asking for if I do this?

None, it would be no different than using a silica based sand as far a s buffering. I wouldn't use painted gravel, but a natural gravel of small grain size might be interesting.

I also think there would be no difference except that it is a little unnatural for the surroundings of the fish..but then hey,,,to each her own right? May look kinda cool...

(y) although my post count is not much. I have kept a FO for over a yr with natural gravel. I had no real problems with it.

Had 2 tomato clowns, 2 domino damsels and an Imp. Angel in it.

cool, done deal, I am going for it..let ya all know how it turns out :p

My puffer tank has gravel and a Fluval canister. I'm getting a lot of brown algae in there, but I'm sure that isn't due to the gravel. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the puffer being such a messy slob and me being such a lazy slob and not cleaning up after him as much as I should. Other than the brown algae, it's a pretty neat looking tank and it is easy to clean up.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom