suggestions for sand sifter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on how deep your sand bed is and what your livestock consists of.

How deep is your sand bed. If you only have a couple of inches you can push down on the rock so that it is deep enough to not get undermined. If you have a DSB, that's another story. Snails, hermits, stars, etc will only sift the top inch or so of the sand bed. A goby or pistol shrimp on the other hand will undermine the rock work over time.

flanque said:
This might sound stupid, but with these sand sifters, can they cause your live rock display to fall over if they're so actively moving sand around?

I'd love to have a bullet goby because my sand rarely moves unless I do it, at least to the visible eye - it probably moves around grain by grain.

I`ve had one for years and never had my LR fall. They will do an excellent job of keeping the sand clean.

Picked up 10 of the nassarius snails today. What a hoot! They promptly burrowed down under the sand. Thanks all for the excellent suggestions!

Wait till the next time you feed. They all come scrambling up to the surface in search of dinner. I never get tired of watching the commotion at feeding time.

Back
Top Bottom