Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
In a 29 gal the 10 pc is just about 3 gal. You can do it even 2x a week and it is easier than maintaining those complicated equipment and still do the pwc.
A refugium is anything but complicated. Just a tank that you pump water out of. Heck, you don't even need baffles. My refugium on my 20g reef didn't have any and it worked just fine. Heck, even you can't argue that increased water volume from a sump is helpful in maintaining proper water parameters in a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgolg76 View Post
Would you def want the skimmer chamber before the fuge chamber? In the fuge should I have dsb or is rubble and cheato enough. Would a reg clip on desk light suffice?
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I would, The most bubbled are going to be created by the skimmer and putting it as far away from the return is a good way of keeping micro bubbles out of the display.

You could do just the chaeto if you wanted. You don't really need rubble and I would advise against a DSB in a refugium. There's just not enough surface area to make a DSB useful.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just think it makes sence to get one. I need a skimmer. So may as well do it the right way. Seems complicated to set up but with online help and my step dad. Sure I can figure it out. With a sump can I keep more livestock. Have a pair of clowns. Watchman goby with shrimp and a Firefish. As well as some inverts. Could I get a fifth fish. Tank still feels empty

Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So cheato wound be enough. Would you recommend putting in some snails to eat the cheato or just trim it when it gets overgrown.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Just think it makes sence to get one. I need a skimmer. So may as well do it the right way. Seems complicated to set up but with online help and my step dad. Sure I can figure it out. With a sump can I keep more livestock. Have a pair of clowns. Watchman goby with shrimp and a Firefish. As well as some inverts. Could I get a fifth fish. Tank still feels empty

I think 4 would be pushing it. There are a lot of territorial issues that saltwater fish bring to the table and there isn't a lot of space in a 29g tank. But I understand entirely what you mean by the tank looking empty. I only have 4 small fish in my 90g atm

Quote:
So cheato wound be enough. Would you recommend putting in some snails to eat the cheato or just trim it when it gets overgrown.

Just trim it ant toss it but NEVER flush it. I usually take mine and trade it in to my LFS for credit. I've bought quite a few of my coral frags doing that.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Complication is already at work as you are discussing what will it take to have a sump. You haven't touched yet on how to install an overflow box or drilling your tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wouldn't even have thought of trading in cheato for credit.

Watchman never moves more then a few inches from his whole. Luckily it is at front of tank so I can see him and the pistol shrimp usually is out and about. Clowns never leave their corner. Feels just so empty. I guess instead of a fish just get more inverts since they are fun to watch to. Just so use to fw where you have fish all over the place.

As for equipment I am think of max jet 900 for return pump and the eshopps 300 for overfly box. Not sure about skimmer. Want one that works without breaking the bank. Any suggestions

Old 10-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Def gonna have an overflow box and yes not too sure on how to plumb. But getting great info from everybody and learning so much

Old 10-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I didn't want complicated I would never have gone sw. Would have just done a gold fish bowl. Just kidding never would put a goldfish in a bowl

Old 10-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Wouldn't even have thought of trading in cheato for credit.

Watchman never moves more then a few inches from his whole. Luckily it is at front of tank so I can see him and the pistol shrimp usually is out and about. Clowns never leave their corner. Feels just so empty. I guess instead of a fish just get more inverts since they are fun to watch to. Just so use to fw where you have fish all over the place.

As for equipment I am think of max jet 900 for return pump and the eshopps 300 for overfly box. Not sure about skimmer. Want one that works without breaking the bank. Any suggestions

How long have you had the fish? Is the 29g already stocked?

Rather than the eshopps overflow box I would suggest going with this.

Super Nano Overflow Box Complete Kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

The HOB overflows can sometimes (very rarely) fail and can potentially cause some flooding. The drilled option is very safe and something catastrophic would have to happen to cause any problems.

For a return pump I would probably go with a mag drive of whatever gph you are shooting for.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So that overflow kit you actually have to cut the glass? Will it be big enough for 30 g.

Tank up since late may. First fish early August. Got my Firefish last week

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com