Sump cracked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just brought home my upgraded 300L tank and saw this morning the sump has been leaking into the carpet and has a crack... I seriously have all the luck!. I have had it repaired by an aquarium who builds tanks today but have to wait til it cures. How long can my tank run without a protein skimmer and bio filtration? The skimmer won't reach as a HOB. I have 2 wavemakers still operating for water movement and have live rock and approx 1.5- 2inches of sand. I also have livestock which came with the tank ( I have some advertised for sale ) as it was established for about 8mths. I transported around 200 litres of the original water and topped up like a PWC. I thought there would be enough beneficial bacteria to keep it running for a few days but another place I went to today confused the heck out of me...saying you start off like day1if the filtration stops after 20 mins as you lose the bacteria and he raised eyebrows when I said I had no other filtration.I had kept the sponges with detrious and sump water thinking that would get it going again when the sump is right.

Will it be ok for a few days or crash? I can hook up a new 2800p/l cannister filter if need be. It's still sitting in the box from another project I was thinking of.

Hi there. Glad you got your sump fixed. As for the LFS who told you that you loose bacteria after 20 mins is deeply incorrect. The BB is located on and in the substrates of your aquarium (sand, rock etc). Hardly any BB is in the water column.

Your DT should be fine for a few days/weeks assuming your rock and sand are in there? Since your skimmer is not currently on, I would keep an eye on the nitrates and phosphates in your tank. You can do large PWCs as needed.

Your DT will survive without your sump for some time as long as you keep an eye on it. Good luck!

Thanks for the re assurance : ) I had walked away totally confused today after what he said. Will continue with PWC to combat the nitrates in the meantime. Should only be for a few days but would like to leave for 4 to be sure it is sound.

Finally I have my new tank (minus the sump and after the clean up this morning). Selling the tang and tomato clowns which will reduce the package price I paid. Don't know much about starfish or lollipop wrasses ( also included ) so will have to research further. Main thing is I scored more LR, some neat corals and LEDs in the deal. :D

Attachments

• 20140105_201124.jpg
    20140105_201124.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20140105_101219.jpg
    20140105_101219.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20140105_101234.jpg
    20140105_101234.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 83
Good job on selling the Sailfin, tank is way too small for him or any other tangs. Nice looking tank. Starfish looks like a Linckia if so they are usually only for experts and have an extremely low survival rate and can never be exposed to air. They are very inexpensive, $15-$20

Saltwater Aquarium Starfish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Linckia Sea Star, Blue

Thanks - I love it the more I look at it and am looking forward to building it up with my 167L.:) I have learned the tangs need a 6ft swimming footprint- he came with the tank and hopefully I "reeled in a buyer today " hahhaha. He has a 6x2x2. He was keen so fingers crossed. The tang is elegant but I focus on the waste product after having nitrate problems.

I will research the starfish. I want to enjoy my tank...not stress any further so if need be, I will rehome the starfish too. Don't want to be over ambitious and end up killing it :( I would never have bought one personally.

The Lincka are beautiful but like I said very few people have ever been able to keep them more than a few months, good luck with your tank and sump :)

The Lincka are beautiful but like I said very few people have ever been able to keep them more than a few months, good luck with your tank and sump :)

Thanks- have been trying to upload a clearer pic but not working. Will google the Lincka.

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom