Sump design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be making a 55 gallons sump, skimmer, fuge, return. I was wondering if I should put a dsb in the fuge or no? Wouldn't it be easier to clean without one? Would the pros of having in e outweigh the cons? What are the pros and cons?

crister13 said:
I'm going to be making a 55 gallons sump, skimmer, fuge, return. I was wondering if I should put a dsb in the fuge or no? Wouldn't it be easier to clean without one? Would the pros of having in e outweigh the cons? What are the pros and cons?

Personally i would not. Its just another thing that needs maintained they become nutrient traps that cannot self sustain. If always found it much better to siphon out the detritus on a clean bottom instead if expecting a sandbed to take care of it for you.

If you need a sand bed for certain critters you want or mangroves etc then you may want a dsb. But personally i dont think its worth it. You can keep your water much cleaner by siphoning any detritus you see than expecting a dsb to somehow magically clean it up.

One thing people do not realize about dsb is that they do not process phosphates, meaning at some point in the lifetime of a dsb it will become full of phosphates unless properly maintained like any other sand bed. Its a trade off and a bad one.

Alright thanks. I think I'll leave it bare bottom and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll be picking it up today it tmw!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom