Sump/Fuge. Not established yet??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaketit

Aquarium Advice Freak
55 gallon DT. DIY 20 gallon long sump/fuge. In my sump I'm using cheeto and some live rock rubble. I have a reef octopus bh 1000 hob. 350 gph return pump fed by a CPR hob overflow. I change out the filter sock every week and do a 10 gallon water change either every week or every other week

Now I'm having problems with a brown algae in my DT. So my question is my sump not established enough yet to eat the phosphates. I don't overfeed, I only use rodi from the lfs and I usually blow of the rocks during waterchanges

I know everybody is going to ask what my parameters are but I don't have any kits and the lfs always says everything looks fine

image-2920121338.jpg

The tank has be set up for well over a year now. The fuge is only about 2 months old. I had a canister before. And yes it's almost like a short haired brown algae. It's been driving me nuts for awhile now. I've scrubed the rocks a few times but it always seems to come back. I have 2 800 gph power heads in the DT.

Well over a year and no test kit?! Are they using strips or drops for testing? Strips are not very accurate for salt water. Also canisters are know nitrate factories. Did you clean it regularly and often? At least pick up a nitrate test kit. Check your nitrates and all I can really recommend is water change perhaps once a week. Maybe pick up a foxface, tang, or lawnmower blenny?
Can't really help if we don't know water parameters, light cycle, stuff like that.

Well they do use drops to test. My canister was always cleaned. I don't have it any more. I have good quality LED lighting, actinic on 8 hours white on 6 hours. I was just wondering why the chaeto isn't out competing the hair algae, like people said it would. Is the flow through my sump to fast, not enough live rock. The chaeto is growing pretty fast.

I do weekly/ biweekly water changes. I have a half dozen emerald crabs and some hermits . And recently bought a foxface who doesn't touch it.

Back
Top Bottom