Sump or wet/ dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scooterdragon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi just a little curios what would work out better on my 55 g reef I tired of my canister so it's gone

Def do a sump. And if you can, fit a refugium section in there as well. If you are gonna use up valuable space under the tank, mine as well make the most of it

Refug for sure... Go to this guys store on eBay "clevecollectibles" He sells sumps. I ordered mine with him, If you need a certain size sump shoot him a message if you go that route. Took about 2 weeks from paid to my tank. nicely made well worth the money.

I love my sump it came with my tank when I bought it used and it's so effective

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no recommended size. The larger, the better is the best advice. You should be able to fit a 20 long under your stand.
The sump will hold a protein skimmer, and possibly a refugium. 2 excellent ways to remove nutrients. A wet/dry will provide more surface area for aerobic bacteria, which will do everything in the nitrate cycle BUT remove the nitrates themselves. So, for a fish only, this would be fine, but if you have a reef, and low nitrates are crucial, I would go with a sump.

Next question is when I set the sump up with refuge will it have to cycle like a new tank

Not if you are connecting it to an already cycled tank. If this is a totally new setup then I would connect the sump and cycle the entire thing running, then add the algae after livestock is introduced.

It's a 55 g reef with few corals and about five fish tanks been set up for years just finally doing a few upgrades

Ok so here I go I just picked up a 20 g long fish tank ( thanks to petcos screw up with the left on sale tag ) for $20 to make my sump from. But befor I start that venture I want to know people's opinion on the skimmer I currently own am and using (CPR hang on skimmer first version ) should I plan on a upgrade in the future ?

I'm just looking for a backup incase eBay does not have it in two months when my broke *** gathers the cash for it haha and thank u you have been a lot of help

Back
Top Bottom