Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my sump finished and I'm getting a lot of air and gurgling sounds. What can I do to stop it. I'm using a CPR HOB with aqua lifter

There is a small plastic tube that goes with the CPR HOB overflow. The whole on top of the plastic strainer is intended for that tube to be inserted. Adjust that tube until the gurgling sound stops. Normally it should be about half way down.

Hmm, I dont have that adjustment on my cpr overflow either. lol

Where is the noise actually coming from? Did you insert the two sticks/straws in each hole inside the sponge?

hehe I think me and jeff were getting at the same point. lol Did you not get the two straw things with your factory repaired unit?

It didn't come with the sponge or the bulk head screen. I'm working on finding that stuff. It seems to be coming from the sump whenever it blows out air into the water. I stuck a piece of airline into my drain. Helped a little

Also is it normal for the chamber with my return pump to be lower then the rest of the sump

Yes.... this is where you are going to notice the water level drop from evaporation. Since the drain in your DT is at a set height, your tank will always be kept at the same water level by the return pump. The same with the baffles in your sump acting like dams to maintain a constant water level. The only chamber that will vary in depth will be your return chamber. I keep min/max marks on my return section so I know when to top off..... haven't gotten around to an ATO yet.

Last edited:
Yes, as evaporation occurs, you will need to top off with RODI water. When tank water evaporates, it leaves behind the salt & minerals, so as more water evaporates, your salinity will increase, and will need to be re-diluted with unsalted RODI......

Check your salinity, getting it where you want it, then take a sharpie marker or piece of masking tape and make a mark at the current water line, then check it the following day at roughly the same time..... I can guarantee it will be lower. You will need to refill back up to your mark with unsalted RODI.

No. And I wouldn't keep it full, either, especially if you have an in-sump skimmer. I keep my return chamber level at the point where it just backfills to the top when the system is shut off, like a power outage. When you adjust your skimmer, you're setting it for the given water level it sits in (if it's an in-sump model)..... If the power goes out, the water level will rise in your sump, and if you keep your return chamber full while the power is running, then if the power goes off, the entire sump will rise in level..... when the power comes back on, the skimmer will overflow before the return pump can bring the water level back down to normal.

It didn't come with the sponge or the bulk head screen. I'm working on finding that stuff. It seems to be coming from the sump whenever it blows out air into the water. I stuck a piece of airline into my drain. Helped a little

You need a rigid or stiff plastic tube like straw to be inserted at the center of the overflow tube. It acts as a breather or silencer. You can make an improvised strainer with a hole on top and insert that straw.

Back
Top Bottom