Sump/refuge newbie, need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 currently about 5yrs old. I think i'm going to get a 75 and I want to use a 20 gal for a sump. Does anyone have any ideas what I would need and what kind of pumps to use, Thanks!

I have a 46 gallon I am adding a sump at the end of this month this is what I was going to do.
Overflow rated at 500gph with 55 gallon and mag5 or 700gph with 75 gallon and mag 7
http://www.aquacrylics.com/new_acrylic_overflow_box_and_ski.htm
Return Pump(oceanrunner 2500) rated at 625gph with loss in rating due to height about 500gph
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+14677&pcatid=14677

All of this based on the DIY sump idea at this website. The only other things I need are eggcrate and a sheet of acrylic for the baffles.
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/index.html

It will depend on the rating of the overflow you use but I would think a MagDrive 7 or 9.5 would be fine. My Mag pumps have been running flawlessly for what seems like forever.

Just a FYI. I think I just attributed a 2 degree tank rise to my Mag9.5 in my sump (used fro my PS). My PS was not working properly and I shut it down for a couple of days till I fixed it last night. This morning my tank temp was 2 degrees higher. I've been looking for the cause of that temp gain and I think I just found it.

I have heard the mag run hot and can raise the temp. If it is too high, you can add a small fan to run accross the top of the sump/tank. My heaters kept the temp (and small room) at over 82, I added a floor fan (to come on when my lights do) and the temp stays stable at 78 degrees.

I recently added a mag 9.5 and a Mag 12 for my return pumps and saw no noticable difference. Others have said theirs ran hot but not for me.

My mag7 recently electrified my entire sump/aquarium being submersed, through the sump return (that was a pleasant little reach into the tank on a concrete floor). They do run quite warm as well. (I'm lurking, looking at getting something salty to go with beer and I'm sick of peanuts)

Wizzard, you should look into a titanium grounding probe to prevent shocks to both yourself and your critters...

I figured it was a grounded motor.. but that can be deceiving I guess. I'll look into them, or I'll look to ground a metal coupling (same effect). I since replaced the motor with a Rio 14HF that is dead quiet (and not as lively).

My Mag9.5 is about 3 years old and due for another maintenace cleaning. I did add a fan blowing across the top tied to a timer. My tank now stays in the 78 -79 degree range. I also got my replacement digital Big Temp in last night. At least that agrees with my lab grade glass thermometer. The heater digital temp readout is 3 degrees off!

Mags are a proven pump and dependable, IMO. As stated above, determine your overflow capacity and then think about a pump.

Back
Top Bottom