Sun polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some beautiful Sun Polyps. I heard that you must feed each one because if they ALL don't receive food the colony will die. Is this true? It seems to me that if they are all connected then they could live off of part of the colony that is getting nutrition. And, if they are actually seperate from each other, why would the colony die if just one individual does not eat?

I am concerned that perhaps I will harm it by not feeding it correctly. I have had it for appr. 1 month and it appears to be doing well, the polyps emerge two or three times a day. ( it truly is dazzling) :D I feed zooplankton and microvert, after the lights go off, about 2 times a week.

Does this sound like an acceptable feeding pattern or should it be modified?

I love my corals and want to provide them with a healthy system so they can thrive. I unfortunately listened to an LFSer that led me wrong. I bought a Gonipora because he told me how they are so hearty. What a terrible lesson. It lasted about 2 weeks. Since then I am very careful with my selections and hope I didn't repeat the same mistake with my sun polyps.

Thanks
Howard

AFAIK, each poylp needs to eat. I take mine out of the tank and put it in a bowl of tank water. I then feed it enriched brine shrimp, chopped krill, blender mush, and even some flake food. This ensures that the coral gets all it wants to eat and it also keeps a lot of organic matter out of the main tank. Put the coral back in the tank and dump the contents of the bowl down the drain. Sun Poylps (tubastrea) are hardy as long as their feeding requirements are met and they are kept free of algal growth.

Back
Top Bottom