Sundial Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a few of these in my tank and according to zoaid.com they are predators.

Any suggestions, should I hunt them down and pick them out?

From Liveaquaria.com
Box Snails

Identification
A snail that is regularly encountered in the aquaculture and aquarium industry is commonly referred to as a Box or Sundial Snail of the genus Heliacus. They have a classic shaped shell that is round at the base and twists upward into a point. Tan and brown colorations alternate within the striations of the shell, giving it a rather beautiful appearance.

Signs & Symptoms
The Box Snails are guilty of consuming many different types of colony polyps within the Zoanthus, Palythoa and Protopalythoa genus. Many times the snail will be found within the colony itself, where they puncture the base of the polyp, and feed upon its tissue and fluids. The polyp is then basically left as an empty shell, which quickly falls off of the rock and decomposes.

Treatment
The best method for controlling the populations of these snails is to physically remove them from the aquarium when discovered. These pests will not typically reproduce in a rapid manner, and physical removal should be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom