Snail Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pauldadams1984

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, I am just confirming that these are snails eggs before I remove them?

I have rabbit snails (I know it's not them)

Then 3 mystery snails and 2 nerite snails

Is there any way to find out what they areIMG_20230617_114631~2.jpg

Nerite snails normally lay eggs individually scattered about rather than in a batch and they look like sesame seeds. They have a hard shell and need scraping off with a hard implement. They can be laid in a clump like those, but your photo appears to have a jelly like substance surrounding the eggs which ive never seen with nerite snail eggs.

QKPdPGB.jpeg

Nerite snail eggs.

Mystery snail eggs are laid in a cluster above the water line.

mPQvNQZ.jpeg

Mystery snail eggs.

Of the 2 types of snail you mention they are more likely to be nerite snails, but they actually look more like ramshorn, pond or bladder snail eggs to me.

https://fishtankadvisor.com/snail-eggs/

What fish do you have in the tank?

Last edited:
Ah thanks for that link. I forgot there are a few Ramshorn snails in there. I used to crush the small ones and feed the fish but it's been some time since seeing any babies.

I think I'll wipe that off and hopefully there's not too much more about

Appreciate the help

You can let them hatch then all of a sudden you will have a lot more of a type of snail. ;) ;)
If they are in a gelatinous material, ( which they appear to be) they are snail eggs and most likely ramshorns. ( They are ramshorns :whistle: ;) ;) ) You can take a single edged razor blade and carefully remove the egg jello and place them in a container with aeration until they hatch for identification. (y)

Thanks Andy.

Wish I waited before removing them. I'll have a proper look for more.

I will try that next time anyway.

When you say aeration. You just mean a container with a lid with holes in right.

No need to add an air stone?

Thanks Andy.

Wish I waited before removing them. I'll have a proper look for more.

I will try that next time anyway.

When you say aeration. You just mean a container with a lid with holes in right.

No need to add an air stone?

Most snails can handle stagnant water but I prefer to not have the smell of stagnant water so I would use an airstone with light aeration just to keep it fresh. (y)

Back
Top Bottom