Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Platinum
SW aquarium flush with the wall?!?

Hey guys, I am going to be remodeling my house in about 1 and half weeks and I was wondering if anyone had ever made an aquarium that is flush with the wall. My guest house and garage share the same wall, i was thinking of basically making a hole in the wall and having the tank be supported on the garage side and the display facing the guest house. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appricated. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
This is done alot, I'm sure some peeps here can send you some links, but search on like oregon reef. I believe that should get you one GREAT example.

HTH, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just got done doing my 225. There are pics in the gallery. Ther is also a user on this forum boxster that did an in wall.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...r=asc&start=70
Old 09-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
One thing to note with the tank being in the garage is keeping the temperature stable. I dont know if you guys in CA have AC in your garages or not but I know most of us on the East coast dont AC their garages.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
yeah, good point fishfreek, your garrage gets Ultra hot in the summer and ultra cold in the winter, you also have emmisions from your car to worry about.

And I don't know if you have kids, but when I was a kid, I destroyed just about everything in my garage with baseballs, basketballs, skateboards, hockey pucks, etc.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Good points.
Consider building a small equipment room to house the back half of the tank to help insulate & protect the tank from the garage environment.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good Thread.

I have an open wall also, and the other side is the garage. I was thinking about the equipment room surrounding it, but how would you heat and cool it?

I guess you could run some duct to it right?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Platinum
thanx for all the great advice guys, you have guys have given me a lot to think about. To answer the question we dont have AC in our garages but i guess i will have to put some sort of cooling unit. Any way i think this project is a bigger bite thqan i can chew, but im going to go for it anyway. once again thanx for all the help, ill send picture if and when i start!
Old 09-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Please look thru our photogallery. We have many members whom have posted their progress with such work. Also the DIY forum may show some good threads.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sw aquarium, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com