Switching salt brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigTruck6o2

Aquarium Advice Regular
What kind of precautions do I need to take if any while switching brands of salt. I was gonna go from Kent, to IO..anything i should be careful with or watchout for? TIA

I assume you will just be replacing the current SW with the new SW when you do a PWC. Kent usually has more ca then IO so you may have to supplement IO to get your ca reading up to 400. (add to PWC water, not the tank)

Other then that if switching I would stick with this salt for a while and not go back and forth between salts often.

Also make sure you mix the salt for 24 hour with a ph and bring up the tanks temp/sg/ph before adding to the tank.

Why are switching? Price? or are you having low pH/alk problems with the Kent?
They seem to be having a problem recently.

Ive always heard good things about IO. And i have also heard about kent having problems so figured ill just switch. I could always use a buffer to get my Ph/alk up.

I used to use IO but I`ve switched to oceanic because I can keep my calcium where it needs to be by just doing PWC. It was always low when I did IO.

Then why not switch to IO Reef Crystals? It's basically IO with added calcium, but will still test low if using ro/di. Oceanic is the best for maintaining calcium levels with just PWC, like melosu58 said. Reef Crystals is what I'm using cause it's available and cheap, but I've heard great things also about Tropic Marine.

And why are you adding buffer for ph/alk? Is that the problem you're having currently with Kent? If so I would definitly switch.

I'm not digging the Oceanic, I switched to it from Pacific Coast, and I'm going to switch back. The high calcium is great, but the low ph sucks pig butt. Even with buffer, I can't get my ph above 7.8 without exceeding 14dkh while using the Oceanic salt. I never had that problem with Red Sea when I used it, or with the Pacific Coast brand we have here. In addition to that, the Oceanic made my cyano take off and I had a lot more diatom-like growth after switching to it. Actually, I had great readings off the Pacific Coast, it just didn't have as high of cal-mag as the oceanic, and I thought I'd try the Oceanic. Shoulda stuck to what worked!!!

Back
Top Bottom