Switching to reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimes135

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well i have decided to make the transition and convert my current FOWLR tank to a reef tank. Before i start anything, i just want to make sure that nothing is over looked. My current equipment is as follows...

Tank- 180 acrylic (6x2x2)
Sump- 45 gal
Refugium- 35 gal with macro and 3 mangroves
Skimmer- Coralife 220
UV Sterilizer- Coralife 36 watt
Lighting- 900+ watts of MH and PC lighting
Circulation- 18.5 turn over rate
Live Rock- 275lbs Tonga and Fiji Branch
Live Sand- 280lbs

Husbandry and Parameters
PWC- 10% weekly (RODI water & Oceanic salt)
Testing- Weekly with safilert tests
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- Undetectable
Phosphate- Undetectable
Salinity- 1.024
Calcium- 430-440

Inhabitants (quarantined for 8 weeks)
1- 4" Hippo Tang
1- 3" Sailfin Tang
1- 4" Lawnmower Blenny
20- Nassaris Snails
1- Red Serpent Star

All parameters have been stable for about 3 months and all of this stuff came from an established 135.
Are there other things that i should be testing for? What type of beginning corals would you recommend? I mainly like softies but would love to have clams as well, would this be possible?
TIA

From what I read here you have an excellent setup. How long has the tank been up and running? Did you have all that equipment for a FOWLR? Wow if you did and kudos!! I would add a lot to the clean up crew as you will need them. I think you will also need to increase your water flow in the tank. A reef is usually somewhere between 20 and 40xs turn over. With a tank that large you could do a tunze system or vortec. Random flow is best. I don't see why you couldn't have a clam, provided that is your system has been up and running for a while. Clams require feeding of filter feeder foods and an established balanced system with excellent water conditions. It looks to me like you really did your homework and got some good equipment to start with! The sump/fuge will aid you in your transition to a reef tank! With what you have you can easily house soft corals as well as SPS and LPS. HTHs

It sounds like you have the perfect tank. I would not change a thing. If you are looking for good starter corals then check out my gallery and view my tanks as I have nothing but easy corals. All softies and LPS corals.

Thanks for your kind works about my setup. This new tank has only been set up for about 3 months now, but everything out of it came from my established 135. as far as the clean up crew goes i new mine was lacking. i definitely want to get some hermit crabs and i assume i need more snails, what type and what amount of each would you recommend? Ziggy yes all of this stuff was set up for just fowlr. i really like coraline algae so i wanted to provide an optimal growing environment, then i realized that i had all of the stuff to go reef i decided to do it. as far as extra flow i just ordered 6 maxijet 1200s and a wave timer so that should aid to the extra and chaotic flow. any other suggestions of concerns? TIA

The only thing I would do is add to the clean up crew as it's a little small for the size tank. Maybe some astrea and cerith snails...a lot of people don't like hermits because they can eat your snails to get new shells but I have several in my tank, they are fun to watch and they are always taking care of left-over food.

Thanks ziggy, I was also planning on an orange spotted goby to help sift the sand. is there anything else to help aid this, like a sand sifting starfish, that works well?

Fighting conchs, nassi snails (it's really cool to see them "pop" up from under the sand when they sense food) are some of my favs.

Back
Top Bottom