Betta possibly has ick. What to do if unsure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gibsonfan2332

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Male Betta fish. I noticed recently he started flashing. I am also seeing him rub himself against the plants/wood as if he has ick or something similar. There is no visual indication as to what is wrong with him.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0, nitrates<10, temp: 78, pH: 7.6.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

11 gallons. Has been set up for several months now.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

hygger Aquarium Double Sponge Filter. Rated for 10-40 gallons.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

1 male betta adult.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Two days ago. I change 25-50% of the water once a week. Sometimes every two weeks.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I have had him for several months. I drip acclimated him just fine, no issues.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No new additions of any kind in the last several weeks.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Betta pellets, flakes, vibra bites, nano pellets. No change in diet recently.

One important thing to note, is that I have a different aquarium infected with ick right now. However I have been extra careful not to share equipment between my tanks for the last few months. I am wondering if somehow I transferred the ick to the betta tank but I cannot think how that would have happened. My only thought is if it happened a long time ago and the ick has not made any noticeable indications in the betta until recently.

So my question is, what should I do for my betta? I am not certain it is ick, after all he is only flashing on occasion, or rubbing against the plants/wood. I don't seen any white spots yet.

Should I turn the heat up to 86/87 for two weeks and keep an eye on him? I have ick medication (already using on my other tank) but I am not sure if I should be medicating him if I am unsure what the issue is exactly.

Thank you for any advice. I want to make sure my betta stays healthy.

The most likely cause for flashing is a parasite. Ich isnt the only candidate.

I would monitor for a few day while doing more regular water changes. If things dont improve (or get worse) treat for parasites. If you dont have live plants you could add aquarium salt.

Back
Top Bottom