tank mates for domino damsel????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeybuzz2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok...So I took my 50 lbs rock and put it in my 30 gallon tank along with my domino damsel......my 55 is going back to fresh water....Any ideas for a couple of tank mates???? preffeably reef compatible fish because I may upgrade the lighting and make it a reef tank.....

I would strongly suggest returning the domino to the LFS as it will be difficult to add any other fish with the domino already in there. A 30g is the minimum size recomended because they can tolerate substandard water conditions. In reality the domino is one of the more aggressive fish and can get quite large. I know because I once had one in a 75g and it quickly gre to 5" and was a terror before I removed it.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=102

With a 30g reef you are almost approaching the nano system size.

Here is a list of fish that would all be appropriate size for a 30g.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

I would try to keep it to 4-5 of these fish to avoid overstocking.

If it were my setup I would consider the following in order:

Fish:
Green Clown Goby
Fire Fish
Bi color Blenny
Pair of clowns
Dwarf Angel (Flame, Coral Beauty, Pygmy) with caution if truly going reef and eliminate one of the first 3 on the list.

Inverts:
Clean up crew assorted snails and hermit crabs 10-15 of each.
Cleaner shrimp
emerald green crab
Feater dusters 2-3
serpeant star
Orange/red linkia star once system is more established

Of course QT all if that is possible.

HTH,

Yeah I am going to return the domino today.....he is already big, and i dont want the aggression in the tank plus i noticed this morning a few white spots on him, so i netted him and going to bring him to the fish store..... Maybe it stressed him moving him from the 55 tank

Sounds like a plan. If you truly suspect ich than I would wait at least six weeks before adding any fish.

In the meantime this will give you time to research and QT if you plan to.

You could start getting some of the inverts, all except the linkia. If you get any feather dusters or corals make sure you are measuring ALK and CA levels and they are up where they need to be. Calcium can be very imprtant for many inverts. Good frequent pwc with good salt mix can take care of this.

Not sure what you currently have for lighting, you mentioned upgrading. I would look into the corallife T5 slim line. I recently purchased 2 48" for 52.99 for my 90g at my LFS. I planon adding 2 more. They are about the equivalent to a 130w PC for 1/3 the price.

Here is what they look like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-CORALIFE-AQU...708695097QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You should be able to find a 36" locally for under $50. 2 of these would be more than plenty for most corals and future anenome.

Good Luck,

my domino is the devil I am trying to get him out now but he is in the reef and hard as hell to catch wait the 3 stripe is the one in my reef thats maen as hell i already got the domino out he is in my qt for now i run my qt all the time if i ever get the 3 stripe thats where he is going the 3 stripe is beatting up my maroon clown if it was not for the aneonme he would have killed him already no more damsels for me ever

Back
Top Bottom