tank needed to sustain a scooter dragonet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I'd ask further questions in this thread rather than starting another. :)

Since my scooter is eating brine shrimp that's a good thing. BUT what else would they eat. I'm still trying tiny pellets and will go thru all my frozen foods to find stuff he likes. I'm gonna grow brine shrimp later too. When I went to petco for my tank yesterday they had a scooter. I asked the girl and she told me he was munching on algae sheets earlier. Is that something they are known to eat cause I can do that! lol

Also, how often do you feed these guys? Mine is still skinny so I figured I'd feed or try to through out the day.

Any other ideas or suggestions? You guys and gals have been terrific the last few days and I hate to ask more of you. lol

i have a scooter in my 34 Red Sea and he eats frozen mysis shrimp I just need to make sure that I thaw them first and turn off the filter so they get down to him. He also was picking at a sheet of seaweed. He has been in for almost a month and a half and seems fine. At first I wasn't thawing the mysis and he didn't seem to get as much, but since I saw on here to thaw it he has been eaing much better. Good luck with it I hope it works out for you. He is my and my wife's favorite fish. So active and love the facial expressions

The only thing he seems to be eating anything of is a frozen cube food I think it's emerald entree. But he totally ignores the big pieces. I still have a pretty good pod population but that trains gonna run outta steam some day soon. lol

I was looking for frozne baby mysis with no luck. Should I thaw the big ones and chop them up ya think? Or is that too much work? I'll do what's needed since I made this huge error. :)
I have been turning off all water flow when I feed btw.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I really hope mine works out as well as alot of you guys have.

Would One bottle of Tigger pods be able to reproduce fast enough and enough for that matter to sustaine one Mandarin in a 75 gal tank with about 90 lbs of rock?

IMO add some more rock and give several months for the pods to cultivate, do you have a fuge? If not, I'd be skeptical as well

Well I got about 3 inches of sand cover'n the entire bottom of the tank. Do you think if I add 2 bottles I have a better shot/ Do I not have enough rock?

IMO 100lbs minimum, sandbed doesn't matter. Dragonets literally eat all the time, constantly pecking.

If they don't have somewhere to hide and reproduce, like a fuge, they'll be hunted and decimated.

I have a 75 gallon with around 60 pounds of live rock when I first got my scooter she wouldn't eat anything I gave her but eventually she took to frozen mysis shrimp and now she is a little fatty and when any one looks at my tank they like her the best out of all my other fish

IMO 100lbs minimum, sandbed doesn't matter. Dragonets literally eat all the time, constantly pecking.

If they don't have somewhere to hide and reproduce, like a fuge, they'll be hunted and decimated.

What could i use as a fuge if the rocks don't cut it? i always thought when people referred to fuge they meant sand or gravel. Here's a pic of my Rock set up. I think there is an insane amount of hide'n places cuz the rock is so pourus and has alot of holes for the tiny pods to hide out and reproduce but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• Rocks.jpg
    Rocks.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 76
  • Tank Rock.jpg
    Tank Rock.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 99
A fuge is usually a tank below your DT, where delicate life can seek refuge. Some people keep pods, stars, I have one buddy that keeps harlaquin shrimp. I know I probably misspelled that, lol.

A fuge is usually a tank below your DT, where delicate life can seek refuge. Some people keep pods, stars, I have one buddy that keeps harlaquin shrimp. I know I probably misspelled that, lol.

Nah I don't have a fuge then. So the way it's look'n with the setup I have right now the outcome would more than likely be bleak. I'm still gonna give it a shot and add a few bottles of pods over the next couple of months and see if the population explodes. Cuz as far as i know none of the fish i have now are active pod eaters. I'm sure they will occasionally get chowed on but not actively hunted. right now I have...

1 Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred

1 Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank-Bred

1 Multicolor Angelfish

1 Sleeper Banded Goby

1 Two-line Monocle Bream

1 Diamond Watchman Goby

1 Yellow Prawn Goby

1 Banded Coral Shrimp

1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
And the usual suspects for CUC about 5 different species of Hermit crabs and a lot of different snails. The only problem spot I see as might be'n a problem is the Angelfish cuz he's always nip'n at the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom