tank size for a longnose hawkfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
i saw a longnose hawkfish at my lfs a few days ago and was quite taken by him. could anybody give me some more info on these little guys? tank size, etc?

Longnosed hawkfish are an awesome fish! I love their markings and unfortunately they will eat inverts like crabs, snails, etc. They love to perch on a high ledge and dive down on their victims! I had one in my 80 gallon reef tank and kept it well fed which reduced the chances of him hunting my inverts! I don't know if I would keep one in anything less than a 55 gallon as they like alot of LR to hide and perch from!
They also have a thing about going carpet surfing as well! So you need to cover your tank as this is how I lost mine! Johnny:)

LongNose Hawkfish

My favorite fish you are asking about!!! Actually my oldest (int-ank) fish, first to join ranks after my tank cycled.

One could not host a better swfish in my opinion. I have never seen mine near inverts; though I do admit I am a generous feeder, possibly why I never have had a problem. Ms Hawkins (there is a difference, male and female) is always first to the dinner table. She's a chow hound. Simply a wonderful fish to host, they are ever watchful, perching on snails or p/heads or my magna cleaner, her favorite roost. I highly recommend this hardy, interesting fish which has no swim bladder thus the perching habit. Recorded, most deaths occur outside the tank as they are active high water column gliders and sometimes get a little too active and soar right out of the tank.

From my reading, more than one LN Hawk is not recommended in the tank; and with reservation, another species. Otherwise, these are very peaceloving fish. I highly recommend one of these beauties in a tank 75g or more.

Sue

Back
Top Bottom