Target Feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am a newbie and am quickly becoming addicted to finding info about my new pets. I have a sun coraL and I am wondering what is the best (easiest! or is that even possible?) way to target feed. I have him in a cave like setting that I was told they like. My sun coral was a nonresearched addition to my tank and I have learned not to do that now, as they are for experienced people and not newbies -- oops

Thanks
Betsy

Betsy - here is a link to another thread about sun corals. He talks about how he uses a 2 L pop bottle to target feed his sun coral. I've heard of others just using a turkey baster (new and cleaned) and others who remove the coral from the main display for a short period and put it in a bowl with the main tank water and target feed it there.

If you do it right and have the time devoted to be able to feed them regularly they are not a hard coral to keep persay. When i first got mine for the first week i would take it out into a small tupperware container filled with tank water and made sure every polyp got fed. After about a week or so the coral learned to open all my itself whenever there was food in the tank. The above method that pat posted is a pretty common one with the 2 liter. Many people use that method in conjunction with phyto-feast and mysis with great results. how about some pics?

Thanks everyone all of this is very helpful!

Do you feed every day?

Betsy

I only feed mine a few times a week. Every two or three days. I just feed mine with a syringe minus the needle.

It takes time, but I target feed the polyps of my sun coral mysis shrimp one by one with a tweezer.

Hello everyone,

This is all so helpful!

When you say you feed it with tweezers do you mean a special kind of tweezers. I have the long big ones that I got at the pet store. They are rather clunky and hard to coordinate. Do you take it out of the tank and put it in a container to feed it?

Thanks
Betsy

Regular tweezers from the cosmetic or make up section at the store and feed invidual polyps like a bird feeding its chicks.

It's fed in the tank, though when I first got it I removed it from the tank and fed it in a bowl.

One more question.

What do you feed them?

Thanks
Betsy

Back
Top Bottom