Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie257

I'm really not joking! I was so nervous to try it at first but the results are unreal! It made my tank look beautiful! I've also heard its best to use a higher quality vodka I.e. sky, svedka is actually what I use. I use a children's medicine dropper to put it in there! Makes maintaining your tank a dream! dde01
Sounds gd, gonna have a read up on it tonight. As long as my fish don't start swimming in circles drunk I'm open to suggestions haha

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #12

Just tested my tap water, it tested at 230ppm :0 definitely gonna change all the cartridges this weekend if I get chance to go to the Lfs. Might see if I can pick up a Powerhead to point at my rocks 2. I need this hair algae gone so I can enjoy my tank again.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'd be inclined to only replace the resin at this point. I'd say your membrane will need to be replaced more often than the typical guideline, but the resin is a lot cheaper to replace, and it's likely the only thing that needs replaced right now.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The vodka/vinegar/sugar methods are just dosing carbon. The same results can be achieved with a biopellet reactor. And dosing carbon is not the same as running carbon.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard

Sounds gd, gonna have a read up on it tonight. As long as my fish don't start swimming in circles drunk I'm open to suggestions haha
I won't make your fish drunk haha, you are putting in such a small amount it doesn't affect them what so ever. Read up on it. I did my research before trying and like I said it has worked very well for me!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I'd be inclined to only replace the resin at this point. I'd say your membrane will need to be replaced more often than the typical guideline, but the resin is a lot cheaper to replace, and it's likely the only thing that needs replaced right now.
That's perfect I have a tub of resin here already, I'll change it tomorrow and make some water, see what results I get back. I can't remember 100% but I'm sure it said replace the membrane every 12months but I'm just gonna change it at 6 like the cartridges.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The tank in the picture is 90 gallons? I have a 50 and it looks way bigger. What are your dimentions? My first thought when I saw your pictures is 6 fish is too many for a 30 gallon tank but maybe the picture is deceiving....
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin
The tank in the picture is 90 gallons? I have a 50 and it looks way bigger. What are your dimentions? My first thought when I saw your pictures is 6 fish is too many for a 30 gallon tank but maybe the picture is deceiving....
Haha yeah it is, it's 3ft across the front, 2 1/2ft deep and 2ft front to back. And there's 8 fish lol, the engineer goby and a starry blenny aren't so camera friendly lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Cool, interesting dimentions and not over stocked so ill just shut up...lol
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Ok, just wanted to make sure. Those guidelines for replacing membranes and resins are just that... guidelines. What most people don't consider when dealing with RO/DI replacements is that water quality varies from place to place. A TDS reading of your tap water would help figure out exactly what the cause may be. If you have nasty water coming in, it's going to use up the resin a lot quicker than it would if you had very clean, low TDS water to begin with. I'd start there.
This is the issue with my water. It is awful and my resin only lasts about a month of making enough for top off and weekly 10% changes for my 55 and 36.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com