Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The curious case of the missing fish

Hi All,

I have a 55 litre aquarium with about 6 or 7 kg of live rock which has cycled. It currently has a blue legged hermit crab, a snail and a few coral frags. Yesterday I added my first fish to this tank, a small Randalls shrimp goby which was about 1 and a half inches long. I introduced it the same way I have done before with my other tank, at first the fish was completely fine and was acting the same way it had been at the shop. Later on when I was just about to go to bed I looked in my tank to try and find my fish, it was hanging about at the top of the tank near the water inlet, it was breathing and I thought nothing of it. When I woke up I looked in the tank and couldnt find him, for about 2 hours I looked for him, in the end I took all the rock out to try and find him but he wasnt there. I would like to point out that the tank has a tight fitting lid so he couldnt jump out anywhere and there were no chunks of fish flesh or anything floating round the tank. I spoke to the aquatics centre today and they said that in larger systems with lots of live rock it is possible for a fish to break down overnight but as my tank isnt very large that would happen. Has anybody got any ideas on what could have happened?

Many thanks,

Daniel Bell

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Odds are its dead and it was either eaten and decomposed, or sucked into the filter or something

Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well I thought it was dead too but theres nothing in there to attack and eat it, the chances of it being deconposed in a matter of hours are small and the way the filter is I would have seen some reminants of him. Are there any other possibilities?

Daniel Bell

Tags
fish, missing, missing fish, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com