Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is some kind of shrimp in my tank

That title sounds stupid but I don't know how else to put it. While doing a water change on my tank that is cycling, I noticed to little beady eyes staring back, when I made eye contact he disappeared. Curious, I saw a silhouette of him. Unfortunately, I don't know if it is a manits or any other type of ship. Out of my entire shipment of 25# I had only 2 snails alive and a few worms, then today this. Since this unidentified shrimp is not coming out is there a way for me to identify him?

My guess is it is a mantis since I used to have 2 snails and now they have disappeared. There was a dead mantis in the box I got the LR in, so if I had one, logic would say this is another.

P.S. If/when I catch what do I do with it...I do not want to keep it.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well without any type of pic or description, indentification would be very difficult. If it is a mantis shrimp, then you should know that they are know to be very "shy" but are quite aggressive. if you are able to "catch" it, then perhaps you could trade it in to your LFS for something you may want.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also..If you think it is a mantis...keep your fingers away from its burrow. I have an article on them complete w/ pics if you are not sure what a mantis looks like.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
steve-s

Try this as well... >>The lurkers guide to Stomatopods<<.

Excellent info site on mantis in general.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-12-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I figured out, or heard the the clicks....*sigh* figures everything else did in my shipment except this sucker. Well tomorrow I will start making traps. Thank you steve-s for the link I found it a interesting read. Maybe when I catch him, I will give him to someone who "loves" his kind.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:04 AM   #6

If it is a mantis shripm...you might want to get him out of there as quick as possible....I read an article which stated that there were reports of mantis shrimps tapping on the glass over and over till it cracks and breaks.........I dont know about you but for me that would not be fun at all!!!!! Your LFS should sell traps for mantis shrimps...I know mine does...check with them
Old 03-13-2004, 01:08 AM   #7

Here is a pic of a Mantis shrimp
Old 03-13-2004, 02:59 AM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomAquariums
If it is a mantis shripm...you might want to get him out of there as quick as possible....I read an article which stated that there were reports of mantis shrimps tapping on the glass over and over till it cracks and breaks.........I dont know about you but for me that would not be fun at all!!!!! Your LFS should sell traps for mantis shrimps...I know mine does...check with them
While I agree that mantis can be quite destructive to reef inhabitants, I have yet to hear any personally confirmed reports on the mantis breaking the glass. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just highly unlikely.

A trap as suggested should help, if not you can always dunk the rock it's holed up in with some prepared seltzer water mixed to the same salinity, temp and ph as the tank. They will generally evacuate quite fast. Just be sure you have something safe to place the shrimp in while it waits for it's new home or the LFS and you have something handy to pick the shrimp up with like plastic salad tongs. Be sure to wear thick (new) rubber gloves and do not pick the shrimp up by hand.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #9

Oh I agree.....Its hard to believe the mantis breaking aquarium glass...I personally have never seen it happen but just quoting an article in a fish mag shown to my at my LFS.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
I have been hearing the telltale clicks since I got my live rock in January. I have yet to see the culprit or note anything missing. I did find a pistol shrimp today cleaning out my sump. I put him back into the display tank. As to the clicks....hopefully Ill find the source but till then Im not sweating it.

Tags
rim, shrimp, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com