Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-23-2003, 07:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Any advice to newbs is good advice thankd so much!

I wish I had a nickel for every miracle that you easily tricked me into. -Chris Robinson
sumphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thank you very much for sharing some of your knowledge with us.

I have a question about your RO/DI system. What is the role of the DI unit? Do you really need it or would the RO unit be adequate? I have an RO unit and I have tested my water for phosphate and it doesn't register so I am hoping that it is adequate. Also, will carbon remove phosphate? (I think I have a carbon filter as part of my RO unit.) Thanks in advance.

awillemd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I guess I can quote someone who makes RO/DI units

The deionization (DI) unit will remove up to 100% of contaminants. RO combined DI with is the only way to ensure the longest possible service from your DI unit. Without using RO filter membrane before the DI unit, the DI resin would be exhausted in a very short time. There are some cases in which DI can be used alone, depending on water quality

I think charcoal will remove some metals and chemicals.. but the DI membrane will remove smaller items... maybe biological and some chemical types. If I find out I will let you know. I think the problem with using charcoal is that it will store the stuff you are removing in the charcoal and over time leech it back out into the water. This is why people recommend changing charcoal frequently.

Hey.. if RO works.. go for it
Motavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
err wait.. maybe I had that backwards..

Try this info..
At best the product water from a RO unit is 90% pure, that is why it is a good idea to run the output through a Deionization Unit (DI). The activated carbon and micron filter in the DI part needs to be replaced about every 1,000 gallons of product water or every 6 months. Most DI units are a mixed bed deionization unit. What this means is that the bad stuff in the water is removed via ionization. DI units use two resins one to remove negatively charged ions (anions) and another to remove positively charged ions (cations). If the cations and the anions are kept separate they can be recharged, the better ionization units use this method.

So I guess the DI part catches the 10% that slips by the RO.

I'm sure if you are removing the phosphates and not using tap water your fish will be happy.

Motavar is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com