Just when you think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Figuringitout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You have a healthy system in your tank. Yesterday, I was talking to my big brother (I am in my #$*& and he is nearly 70) and I am describing hw happy everyone is in my community tank.

20G High
2 salt'n'pepper corys
1 golden chinese algae
2 dwarf gourami
6 Black Phantom Tetras
4 Otocinclus

All water parameters in healthy range. Temp consistent at 78. Bubbler & QuietFlow 30 for filtration.

My otocinclus all seemed to be checking out the plants, hanging out on the driftwood cave, and eating the biofilm off of roots, leaves and walls.

This morning I look in to find one of my otocinclus belly up :-(

The only variance is that I added 2 water lily bulbs into the tank.

Any ideas on what can cause a sudden death like this?IMG_3639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can never rule out not getting enough to eat with otos. That's probably the main reason they often don't live long, especially in newer aquariums and even if you think there is plenty for them to eat, there might not be. Are you supplementing their food in any way?

They arent terribly hardy fish either and can quite easily die of something that doesnt effect other fish.

You can never rule out not getting enough to eat with otos. That's probably the main reason they often don't live long, especially in newer aquariums and even if you think there is plenty for them to eat, there might not be. Are you supplementing their food in any way?

They arent terribly hardy fish either and can quite easily die of something that doesnt effect other fish.
Nice fat bellies, algae on the walls of the tank, algae beads and wafers. and Marimo algae balls. The tank is about 4 months old, so still a "baby" tank. With the fat bellies, and good body condition - smooth body, no signs of ich or illness.

What are your thoughts about the lil buls? They were added this week and that is the only change in the tank? Would the algae eater kill an oto? He is about 5" and they are maybe 1.5"?

Although I love the little otos - maybe I will hold off for a bit on any more.

I cant see the plants being a problem. If they introduced anything toxic you would have seen more than 1 fish die.

Chinese algae eaters are known to get aggressive and territorial as they mature.

One thing I have found is the bragging is the #1 killer of fish. ;) ;) I had a customer come into the store and was telling me how great his tank was doing and was expounding on how all the mixed fish that shouldn't be together were doing so well. I explained that he was tempting fate by saying all these things and that it was ill advised to do. He laughed at me. ( We had a good relationship so not a big deal. ) He left the store after making his food purchase and about 30 minutes later the customer called the store looking for me. I get on the phone and he said " YOU SON OF A B*TCH!!!!! HOW DID YOU KNOW?????? " It turned out that his heater had stuck and boiled his tank while he was out running errands. You see, you NEVER tempt the fish Gods. ;)

As for the Oto, as Aiken said, they are a touchy fish. They may be popular but can be fragile ( or not as hardy as you read online. ) That said, you really can't rule out the algae eater doing some damage. If anything happens to the other Otos, you may want to consider getting rid of that algae eater.

I cant see the plants being a problem. If they introduced anything toxic you would have seen more than 1 fish die.

Chinese algae eaters are known to get aggressive and territorial as they mature.
Thanks, Aiken Drum!
OOne thing I have found is the bragging is the #1 killer of fish. ;) ;) I had a customer come into the store and was telling me how great his tank was doing and was expounding on how all the mixed fish that shouldn't be together were doing so well. I explained that he was tempting fate by saying all these things and that it was ill advised to do. He laughed at me. ( We had a good relationship so not a big deal. ) He left the store after making his food purchase and about 30 minutes later the customer called the store looking for me. I get on the phone and he said " YOU SON OF A B*TCH!!!!! HOW DID YOU KNOW?????? " It turned out that his heater had stuck and boiled his tank while he was out running errands. You see, you NEVER tempt the fish Gods. ;)

As for the Oto, as Aiken said, they are a touchy fish. They may be popular but can be fragile ( or not as hardy as you read online. ) That said, you really can't rule out the algae eater doing some damage. If anything happens to the other Otos, you may want to consider getting rid of that algae eater.
Andy, I certainly had no intention of bragging. Apologies if it sounded that way. After many defeats, I was finally feeling like I was "getting it right" for the fish and it was disappointing to lose this little one.

As a newbie,I absolutely consider my knowledge at best novice.

Of that mix is the algae eater the only fish that should not be in that mix, as both you and Aiken mentioned?

I keep black phantom tetras, otos and panda corys in the same tank together with no problems.

The corys would be happier with another handful of fish.

The dwarf gourami is a bit of a risk with regards to dwarf gourami disease, but if you have had them a couple of months + you are probably beyond the timescales where its something to be concerned about.

Thanks, Aiken Drum!

Andy, I certainly had no intention of bragging. Apologies if it sounded that way. After many defeats, I was finally feeling like I was "getting it right" for the fish and it was disappointing to lose this little one.

As a newbie,I absolutely consider my knowledge at best novice.

Of that mix is the algae eater the only fish that should not be in that mix, as both you and Aiken mentioned?
I was just having some fun with you. :) Not meaning to be mean. That was just a little FYI for the future. If there is one thing I've learned over the years is that whenever you think you have things going smoothly, things happen to screw that up. :^s Fish will always keep you on your toes. ;)

As for the algae eater, in your mix, yes, that's the only fish of major concern I see. Your Cories would probably like a few more for their school tho. They always tend to do better in larger numbers ( 6+ ) and with good water flow at the bottom of the tank. (y)

Back
Top Bottom