Thoughts on cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon tank with 50 pounds of dry rock and a piece around 5lbs of live rock from an established tank. I have a 20 gallon sump with a Skimmer, media reactor, and Chaetomorpha. It has been up and running for about a week and a half. I added a raw shrimp the first day and contually feed flakes every day. I have yet to see any ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I use an Api test kit. The Chaetomorpha has quadrupled in size. So could the tank be cycled and the Chaetomorpha be sucking up all of the nitrates? Thoughts?

It will be absorbing the nitrates, but with a raw shrimp I'm not sure why you are putting fish food in the system to jack up your phosphates. It's not needed.

I was trying to produce more ammonia thus growing a larger bacteria population. I added two more shrimp yesterday since the first one has been totally dissolved. Still have yet to see anything and if there is anything it's so close to 0 I can't tell a difference

Have you detected ammonia or nitrites? You'll see those levels rise before you ever see nitrates.
Edit: also, put the shrimp in some panty hose and tie them off. Then you won't have such a mess to clean up.

None absolutely zero ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

Seachem seagel. But that was only added a couple days ago

Well the first one was in over a week and completely dissolved. I've added two more since then and they have just now dissolved. I did see a trace of ammonia. I think I didn't have enough bioload to produce enough ammonia to tell on the test kit

Back
Top Bottom